Question about Activated Charcoal

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JackiK

Reaction score
I'm wanting to use this as a colorant. My question is: Can I just purchase a bottle of it sold in a pharmacy? What I've found online is in relatively large quantities and I don't want to spend that much.

Thanks for any insight.

Yeah you really don't need much at all, I buy mine in 2 gram bags at our local super granola Health food store.
Bramble berry has it in resonable amounts too & while your at it you can get some delicious frangrance oils!

Thank you so much. I've got my Wal-Mart list ready and think I can find it there. I only want a small amount to experiment with. Buying a bottle of capsules at around $3 is more aligned with my project.

SilverFox said:
I bought a pound of it from http://www.myworldhut.com for $5.49 and it will last me quite a while.

Thank you. I'm really hoping our local pharmacy keeps some in stock. They're known for compounding. I only want an ounce or so to see how I like it. I will check out how much shipping is on the pound your purchased. That may be the route I end up taking.

I bought from my pharmacy the first time I used it. I didn't want to spend a fortune either (especially on shipping--yikes!) A little goes a long way and I'm still using what I bought from Walgreens.

falldowngobump said:
I bought from my pharmacy the first time I used it. I didn't want to spend a fortune either (especially on shipping--yikes!) A little goes a long way and I'm still using what I bought from Walgreens.

I checked Walgreens and they wanted $19.99 for a small bottle of capsules. I can buy a quarter pound on line cheaper than that. Maybe it's a regional thing with them.

JackiK said:
SilverFox said:
I bought a pound of it from http://www.myworldhut.com for $5.49 and it will last me quite a while.

Thank you. I'm really hoping our local pharmacy keeps some in stock. They're known for compounding. I only want an ounce or so to see how I like it. I will check out how much shipping is on the pound your purchased. That may be the route I end up taking.

I just checked my invoice. I had 2lbs and 8oz of stuff (charcoal, lavender flowers, and moroccan red clay) and the shipping was $9.83 plus .99 handling. You can get an 8oz of the charcoal from them for $5.49. I was mistaken in my earlier post. The pound is $10.49 (which is what I got).

Well, thanks for all the info. I ended up paying too much for a bottle of capsules at the local pharmacy. But, it will give me a chance to try it out before I pay shipping on something. Will post pics when I'm finished.

Thanks again!

so, dumb question. . . I've seen people talk about using this in soap but what is it actually used for and what are it's benefits?

simplymcghie said:
so, dumb question. . . I've seen people talk about using this in soap but what is it actually used for and what are it's benefits?

Well, I wanted to use it for the black color. It's actually sold in the stomach-ache department at the pharmacy. When I get up in the morning, I'll read the box and give you more info.

You'll love working with it. A little bit goes a LONG way. I want to make some more with black swirly/layers but I need more coconut oil :(

Not sure if it's a gelling problem, but the bottom of the cupcakes I made are more grey than black. I only made them because I had some batter left over from decorating the top of a log. That turned out fine. One cupcake also cracked, which I haven't experienced before.

Hmm, I've only made 2 batches with charcoal and I will say that my top black swirls do look a little more dark grey than black, but I have a bit of ash. I tried a small piece in the shower yesterday though and once it got wet it looked great.

Back