Pullthrough

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I made "jammin blueberry " yesterday.

Attachments

• 20240317_155721.jpg
    20240317_155721.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • 20240317_155556.jpg
    20240317_155556.jpg
    5.8 MB · Views: 0
I liked that there was just enough white for good contrast except for what looks like the end pieces. I love doing pullthroughs because they are so much fun to cut, but for the life of me I can;t figure out how to plan for the colors to come out in a particular order/design if that makes sense. I remember watching Teri/Tree Marie's video on her Soap Challenge pullthrough soap and not being able to figure out how she did the pour with different percentages of each color. I am doomed when it comes to math issues.

I liked that there was just enough white for good contrast except for what looks like the end pieces. I love doing pullthroughs because they are so much fun to cut, but for the life of me I can;t figure out how to plan for the colors to come out in a particular order/design if that makes sense. I remember watching Teri/Tree Marie's video on her Soap Challenge pullthrough soap and not being able to figure out how she did the pour with different percentages of each color. I am doomed when it comes to math issues.
I like the surprise! Next time i am going to try adding the bottom of the plastic pipettes to my squeeze bottles for smaller volume pours. I also want to try a column pour with a pvc pipe that is half the diameter and pulling it out as i pour....followed by the pull through. When i do i will post results.

Next time i am going to try adding the bottom of the plastic pipettes to my squeeze bottles for smaller volume pours. I also want to try a column pour with a pvc pipe that is half the diameter and pulling it out as i pour....followed by the pull through. When i do i will post results.
I definitely hope you do post the results! That sounds like it it could be really interesting. The next frontier of pull-throughs (cue Star Trek music :))

ETA: re smaller pours/more pour time, does your batter stay consistent throughout? That is the hardest part for me, getting the trace right. Usually I wait a while to try to get the batter to get thick enough to hold the circle. But it is usually still too thin at the beginning because if I wait too long it gets too thick at the end. Hitting the sweet spot where it is thick enough at the start and stays that way for a long time is hard.

Part of it is I usually pour two full sized PVC molds at the same time so that I can try out as many different discs as possible. @Mobjack Bay clued me in on some half sized acrylic tubes that will make the pouring time shorter, that should help a lot, I think. Plus they'll be so easy to see (I currently use black PVC ones with which I have to use a headlamp to see the pours.) In case you're interested:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0B9FMD3GS?ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details&th=1
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0B9FHDT5F/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I ordered the first ones, they fit perfectly with the Wild Plantanica discs. They are too small for the Love Your Suds ones, the discs get stuck when you're pulling them through. The second ones should fit the LYS ones, but I have not tested them.

Last edited:
I definitely hope you do post the results! That sounds like it it could be really interesting. The next frontier of pull-throughs (cue Star Trek music :))

ETA: re smaller pours/more pour time, does your batter stay consistent throughout? That is the hardest part for me, getting the trace right. Usually I wait a while to try to get the batter to get thick enough to hold the circle. But it is usually still too thin at the beginning because if I wait too long it gets too thick at the end. Hitting the sweet spot where it is thick enough at the start and stays that way for a long time is hard.

Part of it is I usually pour two full sized PVC molds at the same time so that I can try out as many different discs as possible. @Mobjack Bay clued me in on some half sized acrylic tubes that will make the pouring time shorter, that should help a lot, I think. Plus they'll be so easy to see (I currently use black PVC ones with which I have to use a headlamp to see the pours.) In case you're interested:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0B9FMD3GS?ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details&th=1
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0B9FHDT5F/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I ordered the first ones, they fit perfectly with the Wild Plantanica discs. They are too small for the Love Your Suds ones, the discs get stuck when you're pulling them through. The second ones should fit the LYS ones, but I have not tested them.
I like the lys size....same as the pringles can. Wink wink.
Plus, pringles can doesn't leave a groove like the silicone column mold i bought. I could not find a pvc pipe the right size. I also like the fact that I can rip the can off if i can't get the freezer paper out easily...i need to hunt for a pusher or have hubby make me one.

I prefer silicone molds to the PVC or the rigid acrylic mold as i am so very impatient. Hahaha

I only bring to emulsify, then stir a bit of batter into my well mixed mica/oil colorants, then pour that into my divided batter containers, spatula stirring until uniformly combined, i am a hoot to watch as i am like an octopus stirring each division to keep the soap moving...then pour into squeeze bottles and now i am swirling the bottle vs shaking ( air bubbles if you shake).

I have learned to mix my eo blend into the whole emulsion with a whisk until incorporated. I only stick blend for a few minutes tops, scraping down sides and bottom of container until emulsion.

I soap at around 85-90 when I do 6 colors.

I also have a loaf mold ready on standby if things don't go as planned. I actually ended up with a happy accident when my eo blend misbehaved and riced on me..
Had volume loss and a huge clean up chore, but ended up with a "one time only" soap which people want now. This craft is so fun, even when it isn't.

Latest posts

Back