Overheated soap, my new favorite

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Did raindrop soap several day ago. Used indigo to color the base, the drops were supposed to be white, no color.
Here is what came out of it
1.jpg

Liked it so much that made another batch next day, with smaller drops and lightning

2.jpg

The drops are sort of crumbly, but holding up very well. Planed it yesterday, and even on a very thing slice they didn't fall off.
Anybody foresee any issues with this soap in the future?

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 0
How did you do the drops?
followed this '
The faster you move the bottle, the smaller the drops will be. Easy.

Forgot to add. I copied the water amount from the ghost soap recipe. The drops and lightning were high water, the rest of the soap is low water. That's why it overheated during jell process and turn those colors. At least it looks like it, since there wasn't any red/yellow/orange added at all.

Did you use an FO or EO in this soap? The tan color looks like discoloration from vanillin.

ETA: or did you use straight indigo powder, like what you would use to color hair? If so, that will give a green or brown color if you don't "activate" it first.

PS - the soap looks totally cool, and you did a fantastic job on the drops!!

Did you use an FO or EO in this soap? The tan color looks like discoloration from vanillin.

ETA: or did you use straight indigo powder, like what you would use to color hair? If so, that will give a green or brown color if you don't "activate" it first.

PS - the soap looks totally cool, and you did a fantastic job on the drops!!
FO was tobacco and bay leaf from BrambleBerry, it says 0% vanilla content. And the Indigo is dispersed in olive oil about a month ago. using it a lot for different soaps.
Why I suspect the overheating is because the middle of the drops look dry and almost crumbly. Absolutely different texture from main soap. The other thing, I mentioned in the previous post, is drops batter has high water content. I was hoping that the drops will look almost translucent like in the ghost swirl. I made the ghost swirl before with this recipe and the high water batter was beautiful. The problem seems to be in the amount of high water soap dispersed through the low water batter. Drops are too small and overheated instead of jelling. In person those drops look a lot like some soaps in Auntie Claras' blog about overheated soap in here https://auntieclaras.com/2015/06/overheating-soap/

@AliOop , you were right. :nodding:
Did the soap with "china rain" from Nature's Garden. The same recipe. The FO accelerated quick, so had to kind of blob everything, tried to do the drops as fast and as well as I could, no time for swirling any clouds on the top. Here is the result:
raindrop.jpg
Not so perfect drops, but surely white. Did not add any TD to the drops' batter. And the main color with sane indigo is baby blue (might be difficult to see on the pic though), I guess, this would be called pouring rain😏
Well. live and learn...

Latest posts

Back