"preservatives"/antioxidents

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boyago

Reaction score
It's seems the authors of the books I've been reading have their favorite go-to to keep their soaps from going rancid. In Sarah Ade's book she lists grapefruit seed extract, rosemary extract and Vitamin E as additives to keep soap from spoiling. Do you use these? Also what is the difference between preservatives and antioxidants applying to soap?
-
Oh and is rosemary extract the same as rosemary essential oil?

I use rosemary oleoresin (not the same as the essential oil) and it seems to work well as an antioxidant. As for preservatives I don't think they're necessary in soap. Even with DOS the soap is still usable, just doesn't look good and might smell stale.

I use a few drops of Vit. E with every batch. I haven't had any trouble with DOS since I started using Vit. E. Another thing you can do is to add Vit. E to any oils you buy, I think this extends the shelf life.

I don't put anything in my soaps and haven't had any problems, even with DOS. I let my soaps cure open air for about a month, then wrap them up in cotton (I buy the scraps of a yard or so for $1.50ish). They continue to sit on my shelf in my garage once wrapped. I have bastille soaps that are over a year old with no DOS and are perfectly good soaps.

Grapefruit Seed Extract is not a preservative; it contains an additive which acts as an artificial preservative, however.

Rosemary oleoresin and Vitamin E are anti-oxidants and will prolong the shelf life of your oils.

Latest posts

Back