Powdered or Confectioners Sugar

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bnky

Reaction score
Does powdered/confectioners sugar add any whiteness to CP soap if added at trace? or in lye water? And will it help to add bubbles if added at trace? or in lye water?

No help with whiteness, but it will help with the bubbles a little if you mix it into some of your reserved water, and then add it to your lye solution. Make sure to dissolve it in a little water first or you will have gobs of sugar in your solution.

I don't think it will add whiteness but if you add sugar to your water before the lye, it will help make bubbles.

I usually use granulated sugar, but the 10X works just as well. Doesn't affect color at all as far as I can tell. Just make sure it is well dissolved before adding the lye.

bnky,

i've heard of both powdered and granulated being used.

i use granulated, but my soaps since i've started using sugar are not old enough, yet.

be sure to add the sugar to your water BEFORE you add the lye. i tried adding sugar to the lye solution once, and it did not incorporate, at all. i stirred and stirred, and stirred tenaciously, and it was still clumped together at the bottom. upside, is it came out easily :lol:

i add it to the water and dissolve it, then add my silk, then add the lye

I had my lye/sugar solution turn a light yellow the other day but it didn't affect the end product.

I just made my first recipe using sugar. I had a 56z ounce recipe. I added 3T of powdered sugar to the water and stirred and stirred. Then I added a glob of silk and stirred and stirred. Let sit awhile so silk was good and wet. Stirred again and added lye. Stirred till silk was gone Cooled the lye water in an ice bath and proceeded with oils. When oils were ready, I went to pour lye water in and it was kind of jellyish. Is this normal? I stirred it up before adding and the soap turned out great. Traced slow enough to do 3 colors, not happy with the blue I got, but such is soap, and is in the oven as we speak.

I don't use sugar, I add honey powder directly to my oils.

so do the different sugars have a different effect on the soaps?

Back