Possibly my first rebatch - help please.

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rodeogal

Reaction score
This morning I started to cut two 6# logs of soap I made last week and they were yucky, and its my fault. When I poured them I got to the bottom of the pot and realized some of the honey mixture added at trace had not been blended in well. I gave it a quick stirring with the spoon and poured in it. ( What a dork move!) Well, on one box, it went straight to the bottom and is still sitting there all gooey. On the second box I cut several bars, but the gooey part is semi-solid and runs right down the middle of the box where I poured it.

I actually gathered up both logs and tossed them in the trash, got dressed and came to work. I kept thinking about them and all of the sudden I remembered the rebatch word. Based on what I told you, do you think it would work? If so, do I just chunk it up and heat it in the crock pot like I have read? About how long does this usually take?

Sorry for all the questions - I just had the thought. Thanks!!

Are you positive it's just the honey mixture? I'd definitely give it a try in a crockpot before tossing that amount away. I did a rebatch last Sunday and it didn't take long in my opinion. However, I did it in a double boiler, started it before lunch and let it merrily hiss away while I fixed lunch and then while we ate. It wasn't quite ready by the time lunch was over. I let it cook a little longer until the soap chunks looked a little "translucent". I really don't know how long it took - maybe a couple of hours. I did chop the soap up in small chunks, too. Then I added a little extra oil and a small amount of buttermilk and stirred very thoroughly. It doesn't look great but it sure smells good! :lol:

I think if you try it in a crockpot, I would suggest using either warm or low which would probably take longer not only because of lower heat but also because your batch size is larger. I'd also stir it more often then if it was in a double boiler. Then there's less of a risk of the soap scorching. I don't know how long it would take. You'd probably have to judge it by how the soap looks. I'm sorry I can't answer this for you but maybe someone else has an answer.

Off topic - I dissolve honey in water before adding it to a batch. It incorporates better this way.

I did the same thing with a honey oatmeal batch the whole batch had pools of honey in it so I shaved it up and put it in a big pot covered it with foil and put it in the coven for a few hours stirring every half hour I then remolded it and it turned out great the honey was incorporated and the smell was still there I think it turned out a bit more rustic looking than regular cp but I liked the texture

Thank you for the help! Now, I tell you what a dork I really am. I failed to tell you that when I tossed the soap, I tossed it in a dogfood sack. LOL... Needless to say I did not rebatch because I did not know how to label it with dog food crumbs as the exfoliating agent. LOL

However, I will NOT do that again and I will remember I can rebatch!

Can't you rebatch it for yourself and for family members? Just tell them you included a special exfoliant just for them. :wink: Using dog food crumbs probably isn't much different from adding cornmeal, etc.

Latest posts

Back