Poll: Colorants

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm about to make my second ever batch of soap (CP) and I am overwhelmed by the urge to add colour this time (I blame this forum). In the interests of not delaying (or making myself destitute) by placing another order, I had a look to see whether I have any colourants already.

I found Azulene oil and Hibiscus extract (I have very interesting cupboards). Has anyone used these? From a quick google they do seem to be used in CP soap, but personal experience and opinion would be really helpful.

I also use natural colorants and I don't have one particular place I get them from either. I love clays because they're the most dependable as far as final color. I've used French red clay, French green clay, French yellow clay, pink kaolin clay, cocoa powder, paprika-infused oil, coffee-infused oil, beer as my liquid (mostly from the tan to brown spectrum), alkanet-infused oil. And still experimenting :)

I'm about to make my second ever batch of soap (CP) and I am overwhelmed by the urge to add colour this time (I blame this forum). In the interests of not delaying (or making myself destitute) by placing another order, I had a look to see whether I have any colourants already.

I found Azulene oil and Hibiscus extract (I have very interesting cupboards). Has anyone used these? From a quick google they do seem to be used in CP soap, but personal experience and opinion would be really helpful.

Not from my own personal experience, but from someone else using azulene: http://crafty.dyskolus.com/coloring/purpleblue.html
It shows how much they used and the color they got from it...it's the bar at the bottom of the page.
I've heard that hibiscus turns brown (if not sooner, then later), but I've also not personally used it. Hope that helps :)

Well, I used the hibiscus, which is listed as a pink/red colourant in lots of places, adding it at trace. It was fascinating watching this vivid pink liquid hit the soap batter and turn bright green, then disappear completely!

The soap looks pretty good though - just not coloured. :roll:

I use TKB and haven't had problems. some of the blues and purples from WSP have morphed and ruined some batches so you have to read them ahead to see if they can put up with high PH.

Latest posts

Back