pocked maked soap -airbubbles?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I made a few batches of lower OO and found it much nicer than the high OO, just my personal taste..
Talking about soaping cooler, it sounds like you are saying that after pouring your soap into the mold-pop it into the fridge. Am I hearing you correctly? I have never heard of such a thing personally..

Yep, that's exactly what she means. I've done it a couple of times, and what I usually also do is put the empty mold into the fridge for an hour or two before the soap goes into it, then right back in as soon as the soap is poured. But then, I've got heavy timber molds that have enough mass to make pre-chilling or -heating useful.

I made a few batches of lower OO and found it much nicer than the high OO, just my personal taste..
Talking about soaping cooler, it sounds like you are saying that after pouring your soap into the mold-pop it into the fridge. Am I hearing you correctly? I have never heard of such a thing personally..

Yes. I haven't had to do it myself because, although I make milk soap, I've never had a mix that overheats (touch wood).

Hello

I just made this soap using a ghost swirl technique. I used a 30% and 45% lye concentration solution. I CPOP the soap and used a silicone mold. Is this "silicone rash"? If it is, what can i do in the future to avoid it besides not using a silicone mold?

Thanks

20170913_102331.jpg

20170913_101820.jpg

I'd pretty much call that an advanced case of silicone rash, yes.

The way I try to prevent it (but don't always succeed depending on how much heat the soap generates) is to CPOP very carefully. I put 2 or 3 baking stones in the oven and preheat to 170F. As soon as I put the soap into the oven, I turn it off and let the baking stones keep the temperature up. As long as I've soaped relatively cool (115-130F when it goes into the mold) I can usually get it to gel without any surface bubbles - or with just a few tiny ones. Of course an accelerating FO can blow that plan right out of the water, too.

Hello

I just made this soap using a ghost swirl technique. I used a 30% and 45% lye concentration solution. I CPOP the soap and used a silicone mold. Is this "silicone rash"? If it is, what can i do in the future to avoid it besides not using a silicone mold?

Thanks

It's kind of neat that you can see where your different lye concentrations are just looking at the pattern of the rash. One part of the batter rashed a LOT less than the other part did.

Hello

Thanks

I'd try to CPOP at 100-110*F maximum using a laser thermometer or your hand. If your oven doesn't go that low turn it off and wait for it to drop. Wrap your soap in a towel or blanket and leave it in the turned off oven for 12 hours. Do not open the oven. You are not heating the soap - it does that itself. You are just encouraging it with a nice warm hug atmosphere for a few hours.

Some people find that once a mold has suffered silicone rash it doesn't recover. I hope yours does.

Hmmm,
most everyone here says put the soap in the oven to gel it, another lady I talked to who makes soap , saidmake soap at much cooler temperatures.. like 90 F.
Why would a silicon mold be messed up forever if it has a case of silicon rash, unless is it somehow chemically messed up, or maybe could it be that someone habitually does something to bring about "rash" like certain type of soap recipes or soaping temperatures??

Hmmm,
most everyone here says put the soap in the oven to gel it, another lady I talked to who makes soap , saidmake soap at much cooler temperatures.. like 90 F.
Why would a silicon mold be messed up forever if it has a case of silicon rash, unless is it somehow chemically messed up, or maybe could it be that someone habitually does something to bring about "rash" like certain type of soap recipes or soaping temperatures??

I think the silicone gets cooked. For some molds it is permanent.

You can gel (CPOP gently) or avoid gel - soap cool and put in the fridge.

90*C isn't really cool. Lots of people soap at Room temperature.
Soap will get hot all by itself as it goes through saponification. If you just leave it on the bench it might gel or it might reach partial gel. CPOP will get you a comguconsistent perfect job.

What works for me with my recipe in my climate with my method might not work for you.
No one is saying you have to do "this" we are saying "this" has worked for me it might work for you.

Latest posts

Back