pocked maked soap -airbubbles?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nite Hawk

Reaction score
Most all of my soaps have turned out ok, or reasonably decent, I can only remember one crash.
I have had an going issue-it is only cosmetic in appearance, and although the soap is still quite usable, I find quite annoying..
Mostly it is the bottom of the soap, it is pock-marked in appearance, which I am assuming is trapped air bubbles. I have tried dropping the soap mold to knock any air bubbles out, but it has not worked.
I am thinking maybe I am stick blending too long and my trace it getting too thick before pouring into molds, and maybe if the "batter" were thinner when poured the bubbles could escape.
Is my theory correct as to what is possibly causing the pock marked appearance,? and is it because the trace is too thick when pored?? any thoughts??
thanks

When you pour your lye, pour it in the stick of the stick blender, and before you turn it on, tap it, to make sure bubbles float to the top.

I think that might be your problem? But could be wrong.

Pictures would help!

The first thought that popped into my head was your trace was really thick. If that's the case... then you're absolutely correct in trying to pour the soap into the mold using a much thinner trace. Pics of the soap and mold would definitely help here.

Pardon my ignorance but what is "silicone rash" and CPOP? it cured just fine..
I tried to upload a picture, and tried the old fashioned copy and paste that used to work on web pages, but it wouldn't work..:headbanging:

There is an "manage attachment" button under the quick reply box, use that for your pictures.

CPOP = cold process oven process, it means you encouraged gel by putting your mold in the oven after you poured. CPOP can cause overheating issues while you are learning (or if you get a new oven)

Silicone rash or mold rash happens when you overheat soap in a silicone mold. There is some sort of reaction between the silicone and the soap that causes bubbles. I don't remember if anyone ever posted the full science of why it happens, all I know is that it's another heat related issue.

Last edited:
I am not sure if I have gotten sloppy or not, but I haven't used a thermometer for a while, I stick my finger in ( with a latex glove on of course) and gage the temperature similar to making bread, (and I have made plenty), a bit warmer than body temperature, and so far it has worked out okay. Milk / colostrum soap I don't bother putting a towel over or insulating, cause it tends to heat up a bit anyways. Honestly I have never heard of putting soap in the oven after making...
And I was using a plastic mold not silicon..

The top and sides of the soap look fine, just the bottom...

IMG_0005.jpg

I'm not very experienced yet, but I think that looks like primarily overheating.

One thing you might try is running a hangar or something similar through the soap, along the bottom with the mold about half full, then pour the rest of your soap. If it's just trapped bubbles, that should knock them loose. If the issue is actually overheating, this won't help much, if any.

Don't recall saying anything about 23% PKO..
I think it was closer to 14 %
I know I have the tendency to mix too long, and it is thick when poured..
If it is too hot, maybe let it cool a bit more before pouring?? or put the molds on a rack so air can circulate under the molds??
Just am wondering, cause it is only on the bottom..

Don't recall saying anything about 23% PKO..
I think it was closer to 14 %
I know I have the tendency to mix too long, and it is thick when poured..
If it is too hot, maybe let it cool a bit more before pouring?? or put the molds on a rack so air can circulate under the molds??
Just am wondering, cause it is only on the bottom..

Is this the recipe you are using:
http://www.soapmakingforum.com/showthread.php?t=40259

To soap cooler wait till the lye and oils cool before mixing.
Problem is that palm kernel oil can go into pseudo-trace if you soaping at cooler temps below 110* F. Pomace oil can go into false trace too.

How hot were you soaping?

Looks like primary overheating to me, too. Not just silicone rash.

This isn't necessarily to do with the temperature of the things you mixed together. Though those temperatures do set the starting point, the saponification reaction itself is exothermic. Sugars add even more heat. Since colostrum is like supercharged milk, I wouldn't be surprised if it caused an extra-hot reaction, too.

I mentioned earlier that I am not even sure of the temperature, I go by feel a bit above body temperature similar to baking bread, and the colostrum is frozen when I start. And no, the recipe is not the same whatsoever, I have gotten were I don't care for the after feel of high OO.
And Yes I did add sugar to increase the bubbly a bit so that may have an effect, other than the cosmetic appearance it is fine, what is recommended??
Leave it alone and just shave off the ugly bubbles on the bottom' or maybe try soaping at a much thinner trace?\
thanks..

Or maybe I should un-mold it sooner so it stays a bit cooler?

I mentioned earlier that I am not even sure of the temperature, I go by feel a bit above body temperature similar to baking bread, and the colostrum is frozen when I start. And no, the recipe is not the same whatsoever, I have gotten were I don't care for the after feel of high OO.
And Yes I did add sugar to increase the bubbly a bit so that may have an effect, other than the cosmetic appearance it is fine, what is recommended??
Leave it alone and just shave off the ugly bubbles on the bottom' or maybe try soaping at a much thinner trace?\
thanks..

No.
Soap cooler. Get a thermometer. Put the mold in the fridge or freezer for 24 hrs after pouring.
If this still doesn't work change your recipe.
Cut out the sugar, cut out oils/butters that need high heat to stay fluid. Soap cooler. Reduce the amount of milk.

BTW I don't think it is the high OO that is the problem in your recipe I posted the link to above.

I made a few batches of lower OO and found it much nicer than the high OO, just my personal taste..
Talking about soaping cooler, it sounds like you are saying that after pouring your soap into the mold-pop it into the fridge. Am I hearing you correctly? I have never heard of such a thing personally..

Latest posts

Back