Plants infused in alcohol, added after HP cook

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wheatgrass

Aug 2019
IMG_20190831_123517.jpg
Nov 2019
IMG_20191127_113250.jpg
Feb 2020
IMG_20200224_161230.jpg
Aug 2020
IMG_20200829_191311.jpg

@Louise Taylor I hope it works for you! Just be careful that the method described in the first post is for HP soap. If you want to use alcohol extractions for CP you should look up @Mobjack Bay's method. She makes a tincture with half alcohol and half water and then evaporates off the alcohol.

@Louise Taylor I hope it works for you! Just be careful that the method described in the first post is for HP soap. If you want to use alcohol extractions for CP you should look up @Mobjack Bay's method. She makes a tincture with half alcohol and half water and then evaporates off the alcohol.
Thank you! I will do that. There is a spirulina farm just down the road from me and I would love to be able to use this local product.

There is a spirulina farm just down the road from me and I would love to be able to use this local product.
Wow that's so cool! I'm jealous.. ;)
What I know about spirulina is that it's really sensitive to light, so keeping it dark is key to prevent browning/fading. It doesn't like to be gelled and sugar/salt seem to have a small effect on the color outcome and stability.
I once made an oil infusion that I used at +-20% of my soap (without any of the spirulina powder added). The oil was clear, but the soap still turned a very pale green that I rather liked (gelling seemed to work better with the infusion than not-gelling)
Here's a thread of mine on natural green colorants. Part of it is spirulina:
https://www.soapmakingforum.com/threads/natural-green-colorants-experiment.75277/

This is fascinating.
It's also really interesting how different the two annatto soaps ended up. Never would have thought that. Were you storing them in the same place?

This is fascinating.
It's also really interesting how different the two annatto soaps ended up. Never would have thought that. Were you storing them in the same place?
Yes, exactly the same place next to each other..

I realized I've not commented on here but I have been following, I promise! Haha

Thank you for the updates @szaza... You've given me some things to think about. It'll add a layer to the prep work but I think some of those colors are worth it, especially since it looks like some of em lasted better than oil infusions would after a year. I'm definitely stocking up on spirulina now.. But whoa that annatto!

I'm sitting down now with a pen n notebook n sorting out this information (and your other experiments) so I could use it in the near future.

I hope it works well for you @Dawni !
Yeah the fading of annatto in ethanol is kind of shocking.. I'm really glad it's stickin wel with isopropanol!

Wow, nice work @szaza! I wonder how it compares to the same plant materials infused in just oil. Do you happen to know?
Not szaza, and I haven't tried all the greens....

Turmeric after a year is a very light peach in several batches of soap

Paprika starts off an intense dark yellow then fades to a super light yellow after a year, and in some almost like a yellowish tan

Annatto sticks for me - after a year my soaps are more yellow than the ones posted here

Moringa fades to tan/brown after a few months for me

I haven't used oil infusions or plant powders in HP since this experiment. Before that I used to split my batter and add colors before cook and then cook the different colors separately in my oven, so I don't know if this is a good comparison.

I once used annatto and alkanet in a low-temp HP goat milk soap. Unfortunately, alkanet turned grey (ETA: because of the goat milk), but annatto faired really well and stuck around for more than a year, maybe even 2 (I'll check if I still have a bar around somewhere)

I also used cucumber puree and spirulina in HP (twice). The spirulina fades very similarly to the way it fades in CP soap. In this soap cucumber was the water replacement and spirulina was added at trace (cooked separately)

Orange juice (water replacement) and orange peel (at trace) also work fairly well in HP soap and stuck around.

I've used cinnamon at trace and cocoa powder after cook and both seem to stick around.

I'll check if I still have bars or end pieces laying around so I can take pictures.

Not szaza, and I haven't tried all the greens....

Turmeric after a year is a very light peach in several batches of soap

Paprika starts off an intense dark yellow then fades to a super light yellow after a year, and in some almost like a yellowish tan

Annatto sticks for me - after a year my soaps are more yellow than the ones posted here

Moringa fades to tan/brown after a few months for me

Thanks Dawni!

I once used annatto and alkanet in a low-temp HP goat milk soap. Unfortunately, alkanet turned grey (ETA: because of the goat milk), but annatto faired really well and stuck around for more than a year, maybe even 2 (I'll check if I still have a bar around somewhere)

I also used cucumber puree and spirulina in HP (twice). The spirulina fades very similarly to the way it fades in CP soap. In this soap cucumber was the water replacement and spirulina was added at trace (cooked separately)

Orange juice (water replacement) and orange peel (at trace) also work fairly well in HP soap and stuck around.

I've used cinnamon at trace and cocoa powder after cook and both seem to stick around.

I'll check if I still have bars or end pieces laying around so I can take pictures.
Thanks Szaza!

@Kcryss it's been a while, but I found some leftover bars from HP soaps made with infusions or plant powder added at trace and different colors cooked separately.

Annatto and alkanet infusions in goat milk soap:
August 2018
IMG_20180821_003612.jpg
September 2020
IMG_20200916_141449.jpg

Cucumber (juice 100% water replacement) and spirulina (added at trace, cooked separately) August 2018
IMG_20180821_003445.jpg
Second try with some charcoal added as well, May 2019
IMG_20190526_101434.jpg
Both of them today (September 2020)
IMG_20200916_141523.jpg

Orange juice as 100% water replacement and orange peel added at trace, cooked separately

February 2019
IMG_20190201_001248.jpg
September 2020
IMG_20200916_141536.jpg

Cocoa powder (light brown) and cocoa powder+melted chocolate (dark brown) added after cook
October 2019
IMG-20191013-WA0006.jpg
September 2020
IMG_20200916_141546.jpg

Lastly, this is a picture of a soap I colored with cinnamon, orange peel and wheatgrass. I think I made it in the autumn of 2017. I didn't take a picture when I made it and only have half a bar left.. Cinnamon sticks quite well
IMG_20200916_141614.jpg

Latest posts

Back