Hot Process- Holding water back for after cook

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi!
Is it ok to reserve water (take from what would be combined with lye, is that called a water discount??) and add it after the cook to help with fluidity of HP soap? How much is recommended? One article I read gave an example of holding back 4oz of 12 total oz of water. So like a 1/3 of the water was held back?

Thanks!!
Tara

I don't make much HP soap, but yes, I know you can reserve some of the water to add later.

Two things to keep in mind though -- you HAVE to dissolve the NaOH in no less than an equal weight of water. You cannot use less because the NaOH won't dissolve properly.

The other thing is the reserved liquid has to be warmed. The soap batter will harden up when you add cool liquids and you don't want that.

SMF member Dawni is the queen of HP. She doesn't post here much anymore, but I recommend reading her posts on this topic. She's very good at what she does.

I don't make much HP soap, but yes, I know you can reserve some of the water to add later.

Two things to keep in mind though -- you HAVE to dissolve the NaOH in no less than an equal weight of water. You cannot use less because the NaOH won't dissolve properly.

The other thing is the reserved liquid has to be warmed. The soap batter will harden up when you add cool liquids and you don't want that.

SMF member Dawni is the queen of HP. She doesn't post here much anymore, but I recommend reading her posts on this topic. She's very good at what she does.
Thanks!!

I don't hold back any water when I hot process. IMO, holding back water would impede the cooking process. To get a smooth pour at the end of the cook, dissolve about 2 TBPS powdered milk in a little water. Mix until smooth and add this to the HP soap. You would be surprised how this helps smooth out the HP soap.

Last edited:
S
I don't hold back any water when I hot process. IMO, holding back water would impede the cooking process. To get a smooth pour at the end of the cook, dissolve about 2 TBPS powdered milk in a little water. Mix until smooth and add this to the HP soap. You would be surprised how this helps smooth out the HP soap.
So the water you mix with the milk powder, it's additional water? No reserved from the amount in your calculated recipe?

Latest posts

Back