pH testing strips (most accurate?)

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Soapman Ryan

Reaction score
I'm wanting to test my lotions (personal use) and have read a lot of non reliable complaints about digital pH testing meters in the less than $100 price range. Therefore, I thought maybe I could go the route of using pH testing strips.
Are there any successes with strips, if so what are the most accurate brands I should look for?

I've never thought to test my lotions. You've got me curious now.

My skin's sensitive to products, therefore I do a lot of reading (on the acne topic). I've read that if facial lotions aren't pH balanced this could cause acne. What I have read, pH should be in the range of 5.5-6.5, that's why I wanted to check to find out what mine's at.
With a lotion, being a leave on product, the skin can't repair the acid mantle. Not sure if this really matters but that's just info I've read.

Here's a great link, just for info. I have read so many great reviews about Paula’s Choice products, but never used them myself. It states in this link that her products are a pH of 5.5.
http://www.dianayvonne.com/c=Irf7cN9in13AiVO9LuORMEGxp/category/11.thephofcommoncleanser/

Last edited:
Okay, the link is for cleansers....I was thinking creams/lotions. Cleansers are going to naturally be higher than a cream or lotion I would think. Interesting. I only make creams/lotions for myself. Very interesting information

I don't use test strips, but I have read that the lab-grade plastic strips are much better and more accurate than the cheap paper ones. I have always heard and read that a good pH meter kept calibrated is your best bet.

Latest posts

Back