"Perfume Oils"

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cg_lem

Reaction score
I'm visiting my mother right now, and she's just given me a couple of "perfume oils" she got a long time ago and never uses. I've never even heard of these. They're in a small cylindrical glass bottle with a roller at one end. I assume these are designed to use as a "roll-on" perfume or something. They do smell quite nice (one is a rose scent and the other is a "honey almond" scent, that smells nice, but neither like honey nor almond).

Does anyone here know anything mroe about these? Can these be used at all to scent soaps, would anyone know?

(I'm an all-natural person, so am preferring to use the essential oils-- so I'm really wondering the make-up of these as well. . . . . .)

Thanks!

- Cathy

There's no way to know if these are synthetic fragrances or essential oils without an ingredients list. I'm leaning towards synthetic just because there's no such thing as almond or honey essential oil, they are scent notes commonly created synthetically. True rose essential oil is horrendously expensive and unlikely to have been used in a perfume such as you describe, although it's not impossible. These are fragrance oils in what is likely a jojoba or fractionated coconut oil base. If they are in a roll-on they are also diluted as you couldn't safely use either synthetics or eo neat on the skin without risking an allergic reaction.

Whether or not you can use them in soap? Who knows. Not all fragrances work well in soap and so you'd have to try them to find out. They may fade into nothing or they could do weird things to your batch depending on what's in them. If they are in a roll-on I'm guessing they are quite small, probably less than 10mls each? Not really enough to fragrance a soap batch with.

Well, I've been looking into the company that makes these. They're kind of a self-admitted "hippy" company in northern California. Their site doesn't say what exactly they make these "perfume oils" with-- well, at least what types of oils they use and what they use for scent base. I am kind of skeptical of them. I'll admit, I enjoy the scents. And I have now written the company for more information. But I doubt I'll be using them in any soaps. . . . . . .

- Cathy

Back