peppermint eucalyptus shaving soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

superman4283

Reaction score
I'm attempting my first batch of shaving soap and need advice on much EO to use. What would be the best % of peppermint and eucalyptus EO per pound of oil? Since it will be right under someones nose I don't want it over powering. Any advice is appreciated.

Last edited:
I prefer my shaving soaps to have very muted scents, and would use half a gram of each ppo. If you use at least 60% KOH, the soap should be soft enough to knead in more if that isn't enough.

I've not used those eo's so can't say for sure, but that amount should be equivalent to Haslinger's or a bit less.

I personally use less than that, I just want to smell something beside the cocoa butter in the soap.

I prefer my shaving soaps to have very muted scents, and would use half a gram of each ppo. If you use at least 60% KOH, the soap should be soft enough to knead in more if that isn't enough.

I've not used those eo's so can't say for sure, but that amount should be equivalent to Haslinger's or a bit less.

I personally use less than that, I just want to smell something beside the cocoa butter in the soap.
I'm looking for just a slight hint of smell so this will give me a good starting point.
Peppermint and Eucalyptus could be kind of burning on shaved skin.
I have read it might burn but I figure in small amounts it shouldn't be to bad. My father an BIL will be my test subjects so I'm not to worried about the burn to much. Since I won't be using it a little extra burn might be comical. :twisted:

I've only made shaving soap once (even 360 grams of oils makes a batch that lasts forever for my husband!), but it was hot process and I added a blend of peppermint, eucalyptus, and patchouli after the cook at 3% of oil weight. My husband finds the scent very pleasant, light and not overpowering, especially considering how close to the nose it is, and did not experience any burning sensations. The soap was made December 14, 2016, and the remaining few pucks still retain a subtle minty fresh scent, having been stored in plastic locking clamshell containers.

The blend was:
40% peppermint EO
40% eucalyptus radiata EO
20% dark patchouli EO

I wouldn't even be able to smell a tiny amount like that. I would go with .25 oz PPO for a light scent.

Gasp! Lex Luther?

IrishLass ;)

My father said he might like a little burn so I'm not to mean. I think I'm going to split the batch and try two different amounts of EO. I may try to leave some unscented also for my BIL because he has sensitive skin. Thanks for every one help thus far.

I thought I would follow up with results from my first batch. I ended up going with 3% of total oils and it seem to be just what I was looking for. It didn't burn but had a nice cooling effect. Thanks for every ones input.

Latest posts

Back