paprika problems

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Emilee

Reaction score
paprika problems

I have read that you can use paprika to make an orange colour in cp soap, so I used some, a few teaspoons in a little soap, mixed, and did an in the pot swirl. The colour is fine, but the soap is kinda stinky, and doesn't smell like the eo's I used at all, and usually I don't have any problems with the eo's not coming through. anyone else had any probs with paprika, and any suggestions what I could use to make orange in the future. how about carrot root powder?

I had the same problem! Used some for a swirl, looked pretty, but smells stinky! It's been curing for a few weeks and it still smells bad.

veggie powders turn brown. Try infusing oils with annatto - the longer the darker.

IDK about orange.. turmeric turns things really really yellow..
I made a MP soap with a splash of carrot juice (from the healthy foods section) and it was a beautiful orange and my FO came through great.. no clue on CP though.

I've put the soap on to some dried flowers that I've scented with some FO to see if the soap will absorb some of the scent, if not I'm going to have to rebatch this one. ug.

Em, they might temporarily get some scent off the flowers/FO, but it'll fade once you remove them. For long lasting scent it has to be incorporated in the soap.

I made a orange EO soap with paprika and it came out great. Its a light orange with deep orange specks from the paprika. I only smell the orange

That happened to me too! I thought I had just used too much ylang ylang, but I think at least part of the bad smell is the paprika. Turmeric worked well for me, giving a sort of caramel color.

How can one rebatch something that smells so bad? It's really strong too. :?

well, I'm going to leave it for now till its really hard, then grate and just give rebatch a shot and hope I can get enough eo's into it to get rid of the smell.

rebatching works better on fresher, softer soap! really truly.
if it's not grateable, then chop it real fine.

Emilee said:
well, I'm going to leave it for now till its really hard, then grate and just give rebatch a shot and hope I can get enough eo's into it to get rid of the smell.

What EO's do you plan to try? What the heck GOES with this awful smell anyway?? :lol:

oh really, well in that case I'll rebatch today or tomorrow. Not sure what eo's to use, the soaps name was supposed to be sunset, smelling like a walm summers evening stroll down the beach or somewhere. instead it smells like a sunset after a storm where too much sewage got out! might just use some strong eo's like clove, ylang ylang or something. have to have a think.

Back