palm kernel flakes vs. coconut oil

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kommon_sense

Reaction score
Ok, so I'm reworking a recipe. I used 25% coconut oil and found it to be too drying. I was planning to cut it down to 20%.

I also have some palm kernel flakes and wanted to find out from some of the more experienced soapers what the difference between the 2 is.

I've looked at the #'s in the soap calculators, but don't know if that tells the whole story.

Also, if substituting, should I stick with the same 25% PKF, or step down to 20%. I see the PKF doesn't clean as much, but is more conditioning.

Any help would be appreciated.

I like pk, i use it with co, lilke 1/2 and half, i have used it in batches entirely, i like it. Bubbles major! i use it with oo, po, castor.

Given that palm kernel flakes is generally much cheaper than coconut oil, why use coconut oil at all (aside from the sustainability issues regarding palm products).

I really curious as to what difference these 2 make in the final cured soap. Is one silkier? bigger bubbles? longer lasting bar? Noticeably drier? etc.

Coconut oil is a great cleaner and makes suds but is drying in high percentages. Palm, like shortening or tallow, makes a hard bar and is moderately conditioning.

It's all about there fatty acid profiles... If you really want to know every detail about them then look up there fatty acids profiles and what properties those fatty acids carry. When you add together the percentages of fatty acids and the specific properties, then you'll know exactly (in nauseum :D ) what each oil is doing to the soap....

I love PK! I use it 15% and 10% coconut for a combined 25%. I think the bubbles are nicer and perhaps not as drying as coconut. I am going to experimentn with ommiting the coconut for Babassu, similar to coconut but supposed to be nicer, lots of bubbles. etc.... Anyone else use Babassu??

I was reading about babassu. I'd like to try it, but I'm new to soaping, so I'll keep it simple for now. I figure I'll learn quicker with fewer variables :eek:

Thanks for the tip on % of co/pk. I'll be mixing up another batch of soap tomorrow :)

the sustainability issue is precisely why I try to limit my use of palm kernel oil. I buy organic but I don't know how it is grown either. Hoepfully OK. Coconut oil gives a great cleansing bar, I agree. I've made cocunut- olive oil bars that are super.

Latest posts

Back