over SF soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Elly

Reaction score
Hi, I made a batch @10% SF and also added GM, the soap feels too greasy and very soft, is it possible to rebatch adding some lye water to it to lower SF %?, I am tempted to try this but not sure if the added lye would saponify the excess oils within the already saponified soap or if it will stay as free lye within the rebatched soap? and if not will this soap harden up giving it a longer curing time? TIA

Hi Elly,
I over superfated once and added it to another batter of soap with a 5% superfat to balance it out.

so if you added the same quantity at 5% to your 10% you will end up with a 7.5% batch - if that makes sense????

I guess you could lower the fresh batter too if you wanted a lower superfat

Thanks busy that sounds like a great idea, do you need to grate the soap before adding to new batch? and do I add it at trace or to the warm oils? sorry so many questions :wink:

I had the exact same thing happen to one of my molds this weekend (10% SF, no GM, though), so I'm also interested in hearing about this. It's not zapping, but is really soft like cookie dough and has a bit of excess oil.

Trying to remember how I did it....

I think if you attack it fairly early it will still be pretty soft. Mine was, I cut it down (or rather mushed it) and melted it.
Meanwhile I had another batch made as usual. I then added the melted original batch to the new batter (at trace). I think from memory my batch was so soft it just blended in. If yours is a little harder I would think you might need to HP it?

Because mine was so soft (I had attempted a shea butter facial bar at 30% SF - doh!) it worked really well. The end result was a bar that didnt look like rebatch.

Thank you for the detailed explanation, I will cut and mash the soap as it is pretty soft and add it at thin trace to give it a chance to melt in. Fingers crossed all will be well :wink:

I take a 9% discount on all my soaps including milk soaps. If this batch is fresh I'd leave it alone and see what happens. It should be fine. If it's been curing for a while and is still really soft then you might want to try some of the other suggestions.

(I got a bar of soap in a swap last year that was super soft. It was like modeling clay. I put it away for many months and it did harden up. Why someone would send in soap like that to a swap is beyond me!)

I'm with Dottie. Or set a couple of bars aside and rematch the remainder. An opportunity to learn should be taken!

Thanks so much for all your advice, I think I'll leave a couple of bars to cure and rebatch the rest. I am almost sure that my scale was low on batteries therefore the measurements may not have been accurate, I suspect the SF % may be higher than 10.

i messed up tonight and think my superfat is around 25% what now? Any suggestions? I may cut up and add to M&P.
As a side note I had a lonestar "sex on the beach" F.O. in it and it turned a very deep yellow, Any one else know if F.O.'s that turn yellow stay or go brown?

I did a rebatch with 50% of new soap nil SF and added 50% (in weight) of an over SFd batch, cooked until it melted added a bit of milk made it nice and smooth, scented and poured it into mold, it came out really good. It is a lot of work but if you want to save your soap it is worth it. Sorry I don't know much about melt and pour.

calico here are pics of my rebatch process just in case you decide to go that way.

picture002jy.jpg
[/url]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us[/img]
emulsified new batch with added rebatching soap

picture004ap.jpg
[/url]

[/img]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Latest posts

Back