Oil Shelf Life/Disposal

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SueSoap

Reaction score
Hi,

I have some hemp and grapeseed oils that are over 6 mos. old, and having read that they have short shelf lives, am reluctant to use them in my soaps.

What is one to do with oils that are "outdated"? How can they be disposed of safely?

Thanks!

Can you smell that they are bad? You will definitely notice a different smell. Those dates are general and seem short for grapeseed oil. Hemp does go bad fast, but depending on if is refined or unrefined will effect it. Storage is also a big factor. Do the sniff test for the "off" scent. You can store these oils in the fridge to extend their life.

If they are bad, I typically throw mine away in the bottle, rather than down my sink.

They will smell bad if they have gone rancid. What you can do to extend their life, is to get some ROE. If the ROE is added to the oils before the oxidation occurs it can extend their shelf like by several months. Also storing in the fridge, and transferring them to smaller containers as you use them. The smaller containers help prevent spoilage because less surface area of the oil is exposed to air. If the oils are old but not yet bad, they are okay to go into soap, but I wouldn't use them for body lotions or balms or any other leave-on product.

To dispose of it, you could donate it to someone who makes bio-diesel. Lots of restaraunts have oil recycling bins which are then picked up for bio diesel. If its a small quantity its suggested to dry it with cat litter, sawdust or sand before putting into the garbage. Theres a service called "Fat Trapper" in some areas too that will dispose of cooking oils. The bottles themselves have to be cleaned of all the oil before putting into recycling.

The oils are also biodegradeable, so they can be poured into your yard or compost pile. They are never to be poured down the sink because they will clogg pipes and sewer systems and could cause a backup problem in someone elses house.

Your municipality should have instructions about disposing of cooking oils. Mine says to dry it up with cat litter, sawdust or sand before putting in the trash.

If it isn't bad, but old enought that I don't want to use in a product, I use a bit as a bath oil. Or give yourself a hot oil treatment for your hair, or a nice warm oil massage. Or compost it, if there is too much for personal use.

We all know that grapeseed and hempseed go bad in about 3 months, how about when you buy grapeseed from the store the shelf life is about 1 year and a couple of months? How come? is it refined differently, or produced in a different way that it wont go bad. So im talking about food grade grapeseed oil , i have some with an expiry of sept 30 2013, and i purchased it about 1-2 months ago. Also how is that different when using food grade from the store versus a soap supply store?

We all know that grapeseed and hempseed go bad in about 3 months, how about when you buy grapeseed from the store the shelf life is about 1 year and a couple of months? How come? is it refined differently, or produced in a different way that it wont go bad.
I don't know where you get your food grade oils and soap grade oils, but very often the more expensive food grade oils are packaged with the empty space filled with an inert gas, such as nitrogen. Rancid oil is basically oxidized oil. If there is no oxygen in the bottle to react with the oil, it won't go rancid.

I believe the 1-year shelf life refers to unopened. Once opened, it is about 3 months as you mentioned. I store my cooking oils in the fridge and can easily get 1 year out of grapeseed oil.

There are also some brave souls that "wash" rancid oil in brine and use it to make soap. I haven't try it myself but here you go: (Basically the same procedure as making CP soap, except step 3).

http://www.ehow.com/how_6862730_use-ran ... -soap.html

Back