Oil Ratios & Percentages

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kitty1986

Reaction score
I've been seeing a lot of soap makers and tutorials mention getting the right oil percentage. Is that relevant to MP? Or do I have some time to still learn that? :-|

I'm not sure what you mean by oil percentage... superfat? The percentages of each oil used? I don't think either is relevant to MP because you just get pre-made bases. In making soap from scratch, though, there are some guidelines like 30% coconut oil maximum, 10% castor oil maximum, etc. but the rules are still flexible and there are exceptions.

Ah ok, that's what I asking about. Thanks for the info, as usual :) Happy I have some time to perfect MP before I try CP!

With M&P base, you just melt the base, fragrance, color it and pour it in the mold. I wouldn't add any extra oil unless you have a specific recipe from a reputable source.

it is only relevant to mp if you are making your own base. if you are buying a premade one, then no.

i 2nd what lsg said.

I have used M&P a few times. I always like to add extra oils, fragrances, colors & oatmeals. What I have found is that most pre made soap bases take well to oils & other additives except for clear glycerin M&P. I found that the oil actually collects on the top of the soap after it hardens.

Latest posts

Back