No soap tonight, I made PIES!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh how I wish you all lived next door and could come round to share pies and swap soaps! I will definitely have to try the French meat pie. I love tradional recipes.

KristaY said:
I happen to have everything in the pantry and fridge for your recipe, IrishLass. I guess I know what I'll be trying out for dinner tonight! Did I mention I love pie?

Did you try it, Krista? Inquiring minds want to know! :)

Rowan said:
I will definitely have to try the French meat pie. I love traditional recipes.

If your taste buds are anything like ours, you won't regret it! :)

My French meat pie is completely gone now- all gobbled up. Yum- it was awesome! We didn't actually get to sit down and eat it until 9:30 in the evening on PI Day, though, because at the last minute I got it into my silly little head to make the crust from scratch (note to self: next time, make the crust dough the day before! lol). At least it came out beautifully flaky, which made it worth the extra wait. Here a pic of it after the first slice was cut.

IMG_3017FrenchMeatPiePIDay2015.JPG

My orange cream pie came out good, too, although it tasted more like a mock, tart Key Lime pie because of the lemon juice called for in the recipe. This was the first time I ever made this particular recipe, so I at least have a half-way good excuse as to why it didn't taste very orange-y. Next time, I think shall omit the lemon juice and use all-orange juice.

IrishLass :)

Last edited:
All those pies look great! It's making me really miss going to House of Pies in Houston. What I wouldn't give for some Bayou Goo right now...

Did you try it, Krista? Inquiring minds want to know! :)

No, darn it! Work keeps getting in the way of soaping and food, lol. I'm always on call so when I have to go, I have to drop things and zoom. I'm going to try to get it put together then in the fridge so if I have to run off, I can at least get it baked. Can't wait though!

Yours looks absolutely delicious too. My grandfather was an amazing pie baker and I think I have his crust recipe. I need to dig that out or get it from my mom. With his crust and your filling it should be wonderful. I have to get on that!

Last edited:
I was able to make it for dinner tonight, Irishlass! OMG, it was AMAZING! I wasn't sure how I was going to feel about cinnamon in a savory dish but it really works! I think your addition of sage really helped the flavor profile too. It's one of those comfort food dishes that everyone will like, even my finicky son, lol. So this recipe is going in my large keeper binder of all foods wonderful. Thank you so much for sharing such a special family recipe!:thumbup:

I was able to make it for dinner tonight, Irishlass! OMG, it was AMAZING! I wasn't sure how I was going to feel about cinnamon in a savory dish but it really works! I think your addition of sage really helped the flavor profile too. It's one of those comfort food dishes that everyone will like, even my finicky son, lol. So this recipe is going in my large keeper binder of all foods wonderful. Thank you so much for sharing such a special family recipe!:thumbup:

My pleasure! I'm so happy you liked it! :) We grew up on it, so it's been a comfort food for me for a long time. Every time I take a bite of it, I am transported right back to my childhood. Happily, hubby and son fell in love with it at first bite, and they always look forward to when I make it.

My son was actually helping me cook it one time and he was just about to go rogue with the seasonings by adding a little bit of 'this and a little bit of that' as he is in the habit of doing with other things that he cooks (like me), and I almost had a conniption! I want to taste my childhood when I eat this particular dish! lol

Re: the cinnamon... I know, right? But like you said- it really works!

That is the very recipe I have been hunting for years and years. My very Cajun grandmother made it when there were just a few of us to eat, and usually from left-over meat and potatoes. I just can not thank you enough for this! The only thing I could remember about it was that it used ground meat, potatoes, onions, garlic, and cinnamon. Which was no where on the internet that I could find. You do know that Cajuns were transplanted from Canada, right?

And yes, this is going into the recipe books I am making for my children.

That is the very recipe I have been hunting for years and years. My very Cajun grandmother made it when there were just a few of us to eat, and usually from left-over meat and potatoes. I just can not thank you enough for this! The only thing I could remember about it was that it used ground meat, potatoes, onions, garlic, and cinnamon. Which was no where on the internet that I could find. You do know that Cajuns were transplanted from Canada, right?

And yes, this is going into the recipe books I am making for my children.

How awesome is that! I'm so glad to have been able to help you out in your search for a long-lost, yearned-for recipe. My grandma's family came down from Canada and settled on a maple tree farm in New Hampshire where they made maple syrup. How I wish I'd known my grandma when she was still living on the farm. She was a city girl by the time I came along.

I did not know that about the Cajuns! I just assumed they were from France.

Short history lesson(you were warned):

The Cajuns(La Acadiens officially) were originally from France, moved to Acadia/Nova Scotia area of what is now Canada. Got kicked out when the Brits took it all over(they were Catholic, and refused to convert and swear allegiance to England and it's Protestant Church), went back to France, then got sent down to settle the Gulf Coast, thanks to the Spanish who wanted a Catholic buffer between Catholic colonies in Mexico/Texas and the British colonies.

Many other groups of French ended up in Louisiana, and they all get called Cajuns, which is not technically correct, but such is life. One thing they are well known for is learning from and intermarrying with natives, so we are as much a melting pot as the rest of the US.

ETA- I got to looking up the history to verify my facts, and landed on this article, which proves what I say about our culture and lard.:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cajun

"Since many Cajuns were farmers and not especially wealthy, they were known for not wasting any part of a butchered animal. Many rural communities held a weekly boucherie(boo-SHIR-ee, which means butchering), which is a communal butchering of an animal, often a pig. Each family received a share of the meat. It had been written that every part of the pig except the squeal was used."

Last edited:
Back