No doubt FAILURE! (now with pics)

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dOttY

Reaction score
Poured my 4th batch today.

Wanted to do ITP swirl, but it came to trace too quickly, and I'm not overly familiar with usage in regards to Pop Micas. I was hoping for a white soap with a pink/raspberry swirl, in Rose FO. I ended up having to mix the coloured batter into the main pot and manually swirling it.

I've put it in a mould and it's now a game of wait and see. I honestly don't hold out much hope for a 'pretty' soap!

I knew my luck would eventually have to turn bad! Blah...

I also anticipate globs of TD.... I hate that stuff! I swear it accelerates trace. I only used ½ tsp too (in the batter that I wanted white) :(

Soap Gremlins must be in full force this weekend!

I sorta had a soaping night like that too. Had big plans for a big beautiful swirl and well..... plans change ;) I have to learn not to get my hopes up so high b/c soap has a way of taking charge!

What happened with the TD? I only tried it once and reeeeally didn't like it. But I think it also depends on how you use it as some can't be added directly to the soap batter with much success (clumps/crumbly soap/etc).

Karri

Oh I knew it was inevitable that the gremlins would come... Hoping they don't stay too long, because they're surely not welcome!

I have used TD with success, but I panicked this time. Because I knew the batter was going off, I was hurrying, and when I poured into my mould, I saw some streaks of TD. Oh well. We live & learn.

And yes, soap can sure have a mind of it's own!

LOL! I had the opposite problem - for once my soap was staying at a nice light trace, like for a long time. I actually had TOO much time and couldn't get the nice peaks on top I usually do. I was so mad!

Plus I made too much of the "swirl color" and then didn't have enough "base color" so had to basically dump my darker swirl color all on top into the mold so I didn't end up with skinny bars of soap.

This might be a situation where my "top" becomes the "bottom" of the soap because it's all mushed up with the darker color I wanted for the swirl.

These kind of soaping days make ya want to stop your feet and cry and have a hissy, don't they?

:)

Karri

Ok, so I've umolded my botched batch.

Soapbatch4.jpg

I am beginning to realise where I went wrong. In an attempt to do a swirl, I didn't 'emulsify' the oils, I actually got it to trace. I am that paranoid of separation, that I went overboard!
Also, I didn't use enough Mica colouring for the swirl. And I didn't mix the TD for the main batter, well enough. (I'm awaiting on my frother from eBay!)

And... I rushed! It was too close to school time, and I was flustered. Big bad no no when soaping!

Lesson learnt. This will be a giveaway (maybe)! LoL

Since this log is only young (24hrs), I'm hoping that some miracle occurs, and it changes to a more white looking soap.

It looks pretty darn good to me Dotty.
Like good useable soap.
I bet it smells lovely. I love rose soap.
Don't be too hard on yourself you've only just started soaping and I think you're doing really good.
After just 4 batches.... thats an amazing soap!!

That soap looks amazing. Truly. As long as it's "good" soap then overall this is a success anyway! (i.e. it's not separated or lye heavy or anything like that, right?)

And if that's your 4th batch ever ... well, you're rockin' it from what I can see!

Karri

dOttY said:
Poured my 4th batch today. I ended up having to mix the coloured batter into the main pot and manually swirling it.

How else do you do an ITP swirl ? Thats how you do it unless there's another way I don't know :? . Did I read this wrong.

I should have explained it better. It was that thick, I had to 'throw' it on top of the main batter, and then go all ninja on it, LoL ;)

LOL @ go all ninja :)

i've told you before, but i think you're just awesome, a natural

i'm with everyone else, batch 4 is a success, it looks fab! maybe not quite as you envisaged, but fab just the same.

i too have experienced the school run vs soap battle lol

I LOVE the outcome of this soap. The subtile differences between the pinks make it a very soft, feminin soap in my eyes. Don't think about throwing this away!

Love the colour of your soap ... I'm a fan of vanilla in soap, as the darker the soap the better I like it.

I do many multi coloured ITP swirls and the best advice I can offer is to add your colour while the batter is still at a light trace ... preferably before it gets to a medium trace. Do one round with a spatular ... then pour!

Ninja indeed! HAHAHAHA! That's a good one :)

I've had to go ninja more times than I care to remember with soap I was going to create beautiful, elegant swirls in ... then it traces too fast (or I stir too much b/c I'm paranoid about false trace) and well, my swirls become layers.

Makes me wanna drink.

Karri

Back