NO brains!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vivcarm

Reaction score
Hi, Well I have made two batches that didn't have any brains :eek: , so here goes! I have made them with 33% water and I am not going back! They don't look the best but I am trying new techniques, so I have learnt a lot. :D

Milk and Honey, this one I didn't want to gell so I left it uninsulated, but it did a partial gel, so I popped it in the oven, and rebatched it, it looks crumbly, it is a really hard bar, but lovely and gentle I am really pleased with this one.
milkandhoney.jpg

This next one is a Karma type fragrance, and my first attempt at a textured top, so thank you guys for all the info, I popped this one straight into the oven after trace, but it was a little too high hence the small bubbles!
Karmatype.jpg

Looking good! I like doing textured tops, they give the soap a very handmade, unique look. I've been trying to think of items I can place on top of my soaps to create interesting textures.

:D Way to go , those look great , I love the color of the Karma type one.
Very very nice.

Kitn

Hello Vivcarm-

I love hard soap- As long as it has great lather, it lasts along time. Your milk & honey bar is nice and white!

It looks like you may have incorporated some air pockets. I had that happen with a batch that seized. One minute I was at medium trace, added my fo, and the next minute I had mashed potatoes (cp). You can bang the filled mold on the floor (or protected countertop) to pack it a little tighter and eliminate most of those.

Good job :!:

I put it in the oven to gel, and noticed that it looked like it needed a mix, I gave it a good few whacks on the counter, the guinea pigs got a fright! Once you use it though it all seems to meld together, it is only for me and a couple of other folk, but I am learning all the time, I do so love this hobby! :lol:

bombus said:
Hello Vivcarm-

I love hard soap- As long as it has great lather, it lasts along time. Your milk & honey bar is nice and white!

It looks like you may have incorporated some air pockets. I had that happen with a batch that seized. One minute I was at medium trace, added my fo, and the next minute I had mashed potatoes (cp). You can bang the filled mold on the floor (or protected countertop) to pack it a little tighter and eliminate most of those.

Good job :!:

I ran across this website about reviving a batch of soap - your comment about mashed potatoes made me think about it.

http://blog.thesage.com/2009/03/12/revi ... led-batch/

Seemed interesting. I'll probably have to try it someday soon. Has anyone here ever tried it?

I usually do room temp mixing - but I'm thinking that if this works to revive a batch, why couldn't you use it with the room temp process if you were say wanting to swirl, or needed more time to work with your soap? Like instead of using room temp water, heating it up before you add it to your oils/lye solution? I might have to try that, too.

Hi Godiva-
Thanks for the link. That soap batch looked fine to me. It may be a good way to save a seized batch of soap, but the amount of water seems huge! I might try it (with less water) next time I have a difficult batch. Lately, the soap gods have protected me from seizing (knock on wood) :)

Yeah! no brains. Should we remove your entry for ugliest soap:) That first one looks really soft and creamy great save!

Pleas don't remove my soap from the ugly poll, it is the highlight of my very short soaping career! :lol:

i like the textured top and the colors are bright! me like. what did you do to get the textured top...i have not yet tried that...but want to

x

:D good job! love the pink! is this what we call a "no brainer?" LOL!

just remember none of us were born soapers-it is always a work in progress! it a learn as you go situation-thank goodness for this forum!

rubato456 said:
i like the textured top and the colors are bright! me like. what did you do to get the textured top...i have not yet tried that...but want to
Danielito helped me on that one, thick trace, and I just used a spoon to move the top around, much easier than I expected! :D

Latest posts

Back