NG Chanel No. 5

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My mom told me that she recently got herself some Chanel No 5 and loves it. I decided to make her some No. 5 soap, so I got NG's. Just curious about how close people feel it is the actual item and how it's lasted over time in soap. If it's a fader, I don't want to give it to my mom (after proper curing time) to have the scent exit after a few weeks or something. Smelled very strong OOB and right after soaping (at about 0.75-0.8 ppo) and it's settling back a bit now after a couple days.

I can't get on the Scent Review Board to look it up there, so was hoping some people here have used it. Also, I hate going to the mall/shopping so please don't send me there to try to find a perfume counter to smell it! Perish the thought- parking, all the people, reams of merchandise!

Thanks for any replies.

I've soaped it at about .75 oz ppo. It sticks at that level. Can't say if it's an accurate dupe though. I don't believe I've ever sniffed the original.

i dont know about ng chanel 5, but peaks is right on, I used to use this perfume for years, now I cant stand it, funny!

I'm not much for perfumes. so it's been hard to have it on the counter. It get's a bit overwhelming and then I start getting nauseated from it. I also made her some White Shoulders, which I identify with her, but having two perfume soaps nearly put me over the edge. She;s going to bring her bottle of perfume next time she comes for comparison, so I can do a side-by-side. The White SHoulders (NG) seems pretty true from my recollection, but I don't have the actual perfume to confirm. Both are highly accelerating, as you'd expect from florals, an we'll see what the mums says re: authenticity.

Nancy, did you get discoloration with the Chanel? I recently checked my bars and they are all turning a very dirty grayish brown color. Hopefully they will end up with some decent discolor- currently it's really ugly. What did you get?

no 5 is my signature scent and i use it every day (the perfume). i've soaped NG's chanel no 5. it isn't a true duplicate, but is still gorgeous and doesn't have any unpleasant notes, iykwim. it is one of my favourite soaps, if not the favourite - my other favourite is neroli.
i used TD and it comes out beige. i wouldn't mind knowing if there's anything out there which is spot on though.
it seems to stick very well as i have bars which i've made 18 months ago which are still very fragrant.

Do you have any pics of your soaps Whisks, would love to see some in the photo gallery ?

Good to know, Whisks. I can prepare my mom for a nice scent but not a dead-on dupe. Mine has little spots of brown as well-it accelerated so I may not have gotten it blended in like I should have. Would love to see what yours looked like.

I love neroli as well, although I don't know if my favorite is an authentic scent. I love Camden Grey's but it doesn't seem overly popular in general. I love it.

THanks fro the additional info!

i mixed my FO with kaolin and TD, then added it to the oils before adding the lye. the first time i made it, i remember it was a hot day and i put the mould in the sun to assist gel. i have also made it without gelling and the result was a paler colour. again i added TD and clay.

I colored mine pink, but it did turn out sort of a dusty pink. I'd say that yes, there is discoloration.

Relle9 said:
Do you have any pics of your soaps Whisks, would love to see some in the photo gallery ?

sorry, i missed reading this last time. i wish i had some photos of my soap. truth is, i've never posted a single photo of anything i've made online, soap or otherwise. the only person on a soap forum who has seen my soap is someone who i did a swap over a year ago. let me know if ever you want to do a swap.

i do like colour and frangrance even though i started soaping because i wanted to make goats'milk soap, and do swirls a fair bit, although, of all things, my chanel is uncoloured.

Latest posts

Back