Newbie Rebatching Soap Heartbreak Stories

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Arynnah

Reaction score
I just rebatched some soap (my first time) and it ... turned out SO badly I wish I'd just left the soap in it's former state...

I tried to make 2 bars:

1 was a coffee bar which I added freshly ground coffee, some benzoin powder, and a few drops of cinnamon EO and it looks like a dog turd grrr! But smells nice :)

the second was supposed to be a lemon bar to which I added lemon juice, lemon zest, benzoin powder, and some lemon EO and it is SO GROSS it hurts my stomach to smell (I want to watch it set and harden for learning purposes but will be throwing it out afterwards)

I just don't think that Norma Coney book I bought can be trusted for it's recipes as that's where I got both ideas/recipes.... blah..

With that said- I was wondering if anyone wanted to share any of their most awful and hilarious rebatching mishaps and what lessons you learned so that maybe we newbies could avoid that error in the future!

nope - it cannot be trusted if it's recommending
- benzoin powder
- lemon juice
- lemon EO (well it's ok to use but it doesn't hold up in soap)

and you couldn't pay me to rebatch.

in fact I have some soap from November I need to rebatch - my kids love the scent and I promised but the soap seized. it's in a baggie in the bottom drawer of the hutch... I'll probably get to it before they graduate high school, at least college....

I'm with Carebear on the rebatch. I have rebatched twice and both times it was so horrible that I have sworn it off forever. There is no batch of soap that I am so desperate to save that I am willing to rebatch.

Never......ever.....really....and that's final.....I mean it.....NO KIDDING!!

:!: :!: :!:

Wow!! The book made it sound so easy and such a wonderful thing I'm surprised that so many are against it! oh well *throws book in trash and moves on with life*

UPDATE!!!! The coffee soap hardened and is out of the mold already and smells gr-r-r-r-eat!! It just looks odd because I haven't buckled down and bought some real soap molds.

What is benzoin powder anyhow? She said to add it to soaps you rebatch and use food items with (lemons, coffee, carrots, cucumbers, etc.)

But it's so dark it totally ruined my lemon soap! my lemon soaps almost as dark as the coffee soap!

Personally, I'd rather eat a box of earthworms than rebatch. I can do it with a fair degree of success but I really, realllllly prefer not to.

Which "Benzoin" do you suppose the writer meant? According to wikipedia (I know, totally "reliable" right? but anyway) there is Benzoin, a nasty looking organic (in the not-good way) compound, and Benzoin Resin, a balsamic resin extracted from trees, not containing the first Benzoin, and used as a fixative in perfumery. Would the second type be OK?

I'm worried about your coffee rebatch. I did a rebatch with freshly ground coffee - it's very scratchy! Apparently you're supposed to use used coffee grounds, not fresh. :oops: Why do we always find out these things AFTER we've done it. :? Mine do a good job of cleaning my dirty "garden" feet, though, and my son's odd-job-man hands. Not good on tender parts of your body, though.

Cleanwater- the author just put "benzoin powder" so I wasn't aware at that moment that, unfortunately there's more than one kind of benzoin... The bag says Styrax Benzoin... I've been googling and wikipedia-ing as well and the information really isn't clear is it?

I'm not sure which is to be used in rebatching (if at all) and I think i'll just use the remainder for incense unless I hear different- the book that recommended it was complete crap so who knows? haha! Sorry I don't know much more than you!

Pepper- The recipe did say it was more for hardcore scrubbing and odor removal so I wasn't gonna even try it on my entire body- That's a great idea for using it on dirty garden feet and such- I heard it helps remove the smell of garlic and onions from your hands which is why it appealed to me. My soaps gross I might just throw it out though haha!

Ugh rebatching... who thought that one up? ;)

I tried to re-batch a large ammount of soap in a crockpot, and the temp. was too high or I didn't stir the crazy stuff enough and it burned around the edges and turned brown in the middle. uhg! I hate re-batching! It looked ugly and smelled bad and then it was next to impossable to get out. :cry:

I rebatch pretty regularly. I like to use a casserole in the microwave and stir every minute or so. Haven't had a failure yet. The scents seems to survive too but I only have FOs and EOs with high flash points.

I've used coffee grounds once, but they were used and worked nicely, and it wasn't a rebatch. Never tried Benzoin, from your experience, I don't think I will.

i also dont like rebatching, ive done it a few times, but looks bad and isnt very nice soap, thats just me though.

Aw, rebatching small batches in the microwave isn't too bad. I've even had some rebatches turn out nicer than the original. But that Coney book does have bad information, especially when she states to pour water into the lye! Yikes! And she recommends way too much liquid in her rebatches. The photos are pretty, though.

Exactly ewenique!!!! I almost did pour the water into the lye bc that's what she said but I googled soapmaking and everyone said the opposite so I luckily trusted the websites...

As for too much water in her recipes- I made the castile soap recipe 2 weeks ago... it's still drying :evil: !!!!!!!!

She needs that book taken off the market it's pathetic.

Photos were pretty but irreplicable..

I rebatch with almost every CPHP batch I make. I take all my trimmings, cut them in small pieces put them in small bowl loosely cover it, add a little water, nuke it 15 sec at a time till it's soft, and put it in individual molds. This is what I give away or use at home. I've never had a problem doing this. I've also rebatched several times in my crockpot.

I used a double boiler because once again- that stupid book told me to LOL- I'll definitely try the microwave method that seems to have had larger success! THANKS!!! :)

Pepper said:
I'm worried about your coffee rebatch. I did a rebatch with freshly ground coffee - it's very scratchy! Apparently you're supposed to use used coffee grounds, not fresh. :oops: Why do we always find out these things AFTER we've done it. :? Mine do a good job of cleaning my dirty "garden" feet, though, and my son's odd-job-man hands. Not good on tender parts of your body, though.

Coffee grounds will be fairly scratchy either way. It just depends on how much you use. Start with a light touch until you know what you like. That said... my SIL loves my very scratchy coffee grounds soap. I made it as a kitchen/garage soap but she uses it in the shower. Everyone is different when it comes to exfoliants.

Thank you thank you THANK YOU THAAAANK YOU!!!!! Everyone who mentioned microwaving as a way to melt to rebatch...... I just tried it for the heck of it and had SUCH SUCCESS I could cry in relief!!

I added some shea butter, lavender EO, and a sprinkling of turmeric for color- I have a gorgeous peach colored lavender scented bar of soap.

I can't wait to try more rebatches tomorrow!

I'm with Carebear on the rebatch. I have rebatched twice and both times it was so horrible that I have sworn it off forever. There is no batch of soap that I am so desperate to save that I am willing to rebatch.

Never......ever.....really....and that's final.....I mean it.....NO KIDDING!!

:!: :!: :!:

Really?! I have to say I love rebatching, but I understand its not for everyone, I will be honest I have had a couple "failed " rebatching episodes where I had to re- rebatch lol, but I think the trick, well for me anyway, is instead of just adding water I use skim milk powder to the water and it makes for a creamier even portable batch I even part I on out parts and put in additives like color or oats, I just use my stick blender and work as if it was really thick cp soap, if you haven't tried using milk powder I wouldcsayvtry before you totally call it quits. But.... If your trying to rebatch the Stephensons melt and pour rebatch, well don't get me started, I don't think it works the same, mind you I am going to try it again with the milk powder and hope I have better luck( i have 20lbs I have to do something with lol)
Let me know if any of you have any luck with my rebatch method I'd love to hear

Red

this is a 4 yr old thread, so I don't know if you will hear back from anyone. :)

Latest posts

Back