New Salt Soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

handavaka

Reaction score
I made a couple different batches of Salt Soap using a new cavity mold. My first batch was scented with Coconut FO....and used activated charcoal. I think the Coconut FO smells a bit "chemical-ish" so I made another batch with Lemongrass....amazing! Popped right out of this mold, VERY HARD BAR, and the corners and edges look great to me!

1426701914957.jpg

TeriDk...my husband said the same thing. They do look to have a blue hue. This picture was taken this morning in natural light/no filter. It's a 3# (oil) batch, 100% sea salt, 1.5 tbsp activated charcoal. Each bar is ~11oz.

They look absolutely gorgeous and I love the colour. You must be so pleased.

They look absolutely gorgeous and I love the colour. You must be so pleased.

Thank you Rowan! I am very happy with them. I've made soap for a very long time, but really must add this one to one of my favorites.

I thought they were blue too. What kind of mold did you use? I love the shape for salt bars.

Shunt,
I have a mold from SHAPEMASTER that I purchased back in 2002. I've tried them with regular CP....disaster! They work beautifully for HP, which I do a lot of, and the salt bars really just pop out.

I stated in my original post that this was made using a "new" cavity mold...I've had this type of mold for several years. It is just "NEW" to using with my salt bars.

I am relatively new to soap making and I think these bars look really awesome. I congratulate you. Sorry if I sound naive, but what does that mean 'salt bar'? I would love to try to make something like what you've shown in the pic.

I am relatively new to soap making and I think these bars look really awesome. I congratulate you. Sorry if I sound naive, but what does that mean 'salt bar'? I would love to try to make something like what you've shown in the pic.

Hello, Misfities:

First and foremost, thank you ever so much for the compliment...MUCH appreciated!

I think that there are many different types or versions of what someone perceives or claims as a "salt bar." I am not too sure if there is actually a standard...however, personal preference always prevails in one's own recipe.

I am new to this forum, but have found endless streams of information, opinions, experiences, and helpful hints that are quite abundant! Definitely peruse it! :)

Although making salt bars is relatively easy, once the process of making soap SAFELY and successfully is under one's belt, you tend to want to branch out and try new avenues, so I encourage you to practice and get comfortable with all aspects of it. (Comfortable...but not complacent).

Additives, such as salt, changes the dynamics of how a "tried and true" batch would behave under normal circumstances. The biggest issue in my opinion, is acceleration of trace. Everything must be within reach and ready to go...it can sometimes nearly set right up in the soap pot! Once you get the basics down of soapmaking and are able to create a good successful batch, then you can modify. Using salt is MUCH DIFFERENT than using herbs, oatmeal, Fragrance oils, etc.

I used 100% sea salt to 100% of my total oils, in my recipe. Some people use and swear by less, and/or even more. I also used activated charcoal in this batch. The salt and the charcoal together created the "speckling" in the bars, thus making it look more like stone. I made these bars double the size of my "normal."

I hope that you enjoy your soap making adventures, and learn everything that you can that appeases to your desire! I am constantly learning and trying new recipes for fun, but have found what works for me and my business, and make soap with purpose. Have fun learning...and stay safe!

Thank you for the lengthy reply. That makes sense now. I will try making a salt bar, as I've never heard of one, and see what its like once it cures. I'm curious how a bar like that feels and acts. Thanks again. Love the look of your soap.

Back