New questions raised on chemicals in soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Saw this on Facebook today. I almost put this in general chat but it's not really off topic of soap. I wonder if this could be good for the soaping community or will just cause more confusion.

http://www.npr.org/blogs/health/201...ed-on-chemicals-in-soaps-plastics?sc=fb&cc=fp

Sadly the article only raises a bunch of questions (and not really new ones) based on loose science and fails to answer any of them. And unfortunately until you read more closely it leans toward the implication that using soap in general could be bad for you. I expect better from NPR.

Thanks Mickey - interesting topic.

always interesting to ponder how to avoid all the toxins everywhere, in everything humans use daily..... :roll:

and some people who make handmade products like to use the fear factor in advertising. When I was just beginning selling soap, I did....but now I try to avoid it, and just make the best product I can, with the fewest questionable ingredients, i.e. the simplest recipes with the least number of ingredients.

xyxoxy said:
Saw this on Facebook today. I almost put this in general chat but it's not really off topic of soap. I wonder if this could be good for the soaping community or will just cause more confusion.

http://www.npr.org/blogs/health/201...ed-on-chemicals-in-soaps-plastics?sc=fb&cc=fp

Sadly the article only raises a bunch of questions (and not really new ones) based on loose science and fails to answer any of them. And unfortunately until you read more closely it leans toward the implication that using soap in general could be bad for you. I expect better from NPR.

that is an extremely poorly done npr piece, i'm disappointed too. does a really, really poor job explaining the science and the issues, and quotes an industry source without making the industry link perfectly clear. no wonder people are leery of science that doesn't have the loose ends tied up. there actually is a wealth of rigorous peer-reviewed science on both triclosan and bpa, but you sure wouldn't know it from reading this...

I only had time to skim the article (running off to soccer practice with my little monsters,) but it did say "antimicrobial soap." Who thinks the author is using the term "soap" but means "those bars we call soap, but are actually mass produced detergents in a bar form?"

I actually feel good anytime I read something about how typical (non-handmade) soap might be bad for you. I'm not one to use fear in advertising (if and when I ever sell stuff), but it certainly doesn't hurt us soap makers when people bad-mouth chemicals in soap! :) If anyone says, "I read in an article that soap can be bad for you", you can just clarify and explain how YOUR soap is a totally different animal. They'll eat it up!

Am I mising something? the only connection to soap I saw there wasn't actually discussed - just mentioned.

Was there something else? Why was soap called out in the headline and picture and barely discussed in the article?

carebear said:
Am I mising something? the only connection to soap I saw there wasn't actually discussed - just mentioned.

Was there something else? Why was soap called out in the headline and picture and barely discussed in the article?

Exactly!
Glancing at the article and the photo they chose one might think too much soap can be bad for you.

On closer look it quickly mentions that triclosan may get into your body by way of antimicrobial soap among other sources... (though not other soap sources) and then it doesn't mention soap again. And it doesn't even take a stand on whether these chemicals are actually bad for you.

My first thought was "this is how rumors get started". But perhaps it could drive some folks to take another look at the "All Natural" synthetic detergent bars that some people swear by.

Latest posts

Back