New Mold - updated with pics

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sunkawakan

Reaction score
I was in Big Lots yesterday and ran accross a great mold. Well, its to store Christmas bulbs in, but I'm going to use it for a mold. They were on sale for $4 each but hold 20 large bulbs so I only bought one. I haven't had time to soap yet, but tonight have to make 4 lbs lard/cm so I thought I'd try a few to see how they work. They look like this:

0007314997613_215X215.jpg

I'm guessing, by the size of each bulb (and of course depending ingredients used) the soaps will come out in the 8-10 oz range. I'll shoot a pic or two when its done.

Just wanted to share considering the great sale(s) going on right now.

Could be interesting! Is it silicone? If not, what will you do to line it? Please post pics!

Jude :)

Its some sort of hard plastic. I do cphp so I won't line it, I'll spray it with cooking spray or wipe it down with baby oil (which I'm told won't saponify) and then pop it outside (right now colder than my freezer here) until it cools, turn it upside down on the counter and rap it a time or two if needed.

I'm hoping to make a batch of unscented lard tonight but have an order to fill (which I can do while its cooking) but not sure if I'll have time to get pics. My Marine BF is coming in for the weekend so if I don't get pics tonight I'll get them on Monday (he has my full attention when he's here and I won't see him again until sometime next year). I'll try to do a weight comparison as well - one right after it comes out of the mold and another on Monday and let everyone know.

Ok, so I ran a test "bar" using my basic lard recipie and it, interestingly enough, came out to be 4.5 oz (same as my "regular" bars).

moldresized.jpg

Unscentedcmsphere2-1.jpg

Unscentedcmsphere-1.jpg

Bubbles Galore said:
Looks like a scoop of ice-cream. :wink:

It really does! I also saw these containers at Home Depot for just over $4.

Jude

Thanks. I agree, it looks like a scoop of ice cream, I didn't see it that way until you suggested it. My first thought is that for spring I'm going to do some up in Georgia Peach and make it peach colored with feathers of light red. Thought I would paint them on using soap paint (never used it before), should be fun.

I hope some of you get in on this, I'd love to see your ideas as well.

Latest posts

Back