New, Learning & Overwhelmed

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Good day all, Thank you for having this site! I am grateful to be a part of it.

I am new and trying to get a feel for the forums there are so many and before I knew it I found myself almost 2 hours of just reading threads and jumping around to get a feel.

I have been dabbing in soap and candles for a bit. But now that I am unemployed I am really trying to invest and fo further and want to really understand the scientific part of soap making. I thought I loved candles, but the process of making it has tested my patience enough.

I have seen SO MANY YOUTUBE channels that I think there isn't one I haven't seen 🙂. I have made many and felt ok I am ready to take the plunge after gifting so many soaps and the products and getting so much great feedback that I opened a business.

Then it all stopped, no sales nothing (crickets) I was like wow all those people that kept coming back for more while I was learning and all the compliments, Im like were they lying to me? I went forward pushing through for the business I mean its done I invested a lot of money and thennnnn after reading information on several forums here I think I need more education, in Miami this field is very hard :( and strict with regulations on this craft, to the point I was like okay now what? I can't do storefront ughhh.

Venting my thoughts got away from me, I wanted to say thank you for all this info. and post cause I think I read somewhere that I have to have 50 posts a month?

so I am jumping around the forums reading everything I can.

We have almost the same last name! Mines got an S at the end instead of Z though hehehe. I think you only need to post 50 times to be eligible for the challenges..

Oh, and be a member for 3mos and more.

Welcome to the forum! It does take a while to read even just a bit on here there's just so much to learn.. And it'll never stop lol. Every time I need to search something I come here before randomly checking Google - much more reliable imo.

Sending out good vibes to ya.. I hear ya on the silence lol. I have a small soap business as well and it gets scary when you aren't getting anything at all, not even inquiries.

Don't hesitate to ask anyone anything on here, or post a question - it's all part of furthering everyone's collective education I feel. Just be wary of the dates.. If its a very old post, like more than a year or so better start a new one.

Hugs Acelia :)

Welcome, Acelia! I have had the same experience with gifting soaps. Family and friends rave about them, ask if they can have more, and ask for some extras to give out as gifts.

But when I recently started asking them to reimburse me only the cost of the materials (like $1.50 per bar), suddenly about half of them aren't asking for soap any more. 🤔 My sense is that they really do love the soap, or they wouldn't have been giving it as gifts to others. However, they either don't love it enough, or aren't in the financial position to pay for it.

Fortunately this is just a fun hobby for me, and I don't want to make it into a business. But your situation is different, since you invested money with the hope and dream of making an income. While I'm not fond of FB at all (understatement), there are some groups dedicated to soaping businesses that might be of help to you. However you go about it, I recommend learning all that you can about the business and marketing side of things, to find your target market and learn how to get their attention on your products. If you aren't already doing so, perhaps try making some other items that go well with soap and can bring in cash flow: bath soak salts, shower steamers, room sprays, etc.

Best wishes and prayers for things to turn around for you!

Welcome, Acelia! I have had the same experience with gifting soaps. Family and friends rave about them, ask if they can have more, and ask for some extras to give out as gifts.

But when I recently started asking them to reimburse me only the cost of the materials (like $1.50 per bar), suddenly about half of them aren't asking for soap any more. 🤔 My sense is that they really do love the soap, or they wouldn't have been giving it as gifts to others. However, they either don't love it enough, or aren't in the financial position to pay for it.

Fortunately this is just a fun hobby for me, and I don't want to make it into a business. But your situation is different, since you invested money with the hope and dream of making an income. While I'm not fond of FB at all (understatement), there are some groups dedicated to soaping businesses that might be of help to you. However you go about it, I recommend learning all that you can about the business and marketing side of things, to find your target market and learn how to get their attention on your products. If you aren't already doing so, perhaps try making some other items that go well with soap and can bring in cash flow: bath soak salts, shower steamers, room sprays, etc.

Best wishes and prayers for things to turn around for you!
Thank you very much, yes I am trying to learn about marketing Lord knows Im not Social Media Savvy or anything media, techy anything 😄.

I am encouraged by this Site and looking forward to keep learning. I am trying to understand the science part of the soaping so I can understand some of the conversations I see on some forums.

thank you have a great day

Thank you very much, yes I am trying to learn about marketing Lord knows Im not Social Media Savvy or anything media, techy anything 😄.

I am encouraged by this Site and looking forward to keep learning. I am trying to understand the science part of the soaping so I can understand some of the conversations I see on some forums.

thank you have a great day
Welcome Acelia, I will mention that my family and friends never purchased soaps from me but did expect me to supply soaps at Easter and Christmas. They loved the soap as long as it was free. I just made the decision to close my business after selling for 10+ years. LOL, my Attorney recently paid me $500 for a batch of soap, now that is the kind of customer I need to keep. :dance: He really deducted it from my bill when I sent him a batch.

After months and months of research, I finally took the plunge to make soap over a year ago. I was just supposed to be a hobby, but things kind of got out of hand and I found myself in business several months down the road and attending my first Craft Fair. I did fairly well for a first time seller and learned a lot from the experience...the biggest lesson learned was that I was not ready to sell soap.

I still have about a dozen bars left from when I first started making soap and while I won’t say that there is a ‘world of difference’ (I’m still using the same recipe, same scents, same colorants)...there is a more professional ‘polish’ to my soaps today, than there was back then.

In the past year I have spent approximately $3500. The majority of this has been for ingredients, but there is also equipment (mixing bowls, measuring/mixing cups, spatulas/whisks, scale, blender, thermometer, steamer, lots of different molds, single wire soap cutter, stuff I tried and didn’t like, googles, apron, shelving unit, shelves, rolling kitchen island) and supplies (gloves, alcohol, vinegar, orange cleaner, microfiber towels, labels, tape, soap boxes, wax paper, freezer paper) andother stuff like website, shopping cart, assumed business name.

So far I have grossed about $200; $150 from the Craft Fair and another $50 in ‘donations’ from friends and family.

I’ve gotten to know several of the YouTube soapers and they didn’t get where they are today overnight,,,it took them several years to build their brand. And that is one of the reasons why I backed off...I didn’t have a ‘brand’, I was all over the place.

I am really glad that I backed off...I’m much more knowledgeable about the science and the magic of soap making. I’m also much more relaxed when I make soap and I’m enjoying it more.

I've been making soap for about 10 years now. Selling for 8 or so. It takes lots of time and money to build a customer base. I do 4 shows per year and have a website and have been able to make a bit over the last few years. The market for soapmakers is flooded. Many new and don't stick around. Sadly, many think they can make a few batches of soap and then start selling. It's not quite that easy. It's important to have a good soap and know it inside and out as far as how it lasts and performs over time. My first soaps were nothing to write home about for sure when I compare to where I am today. I'm the only constant at the shows I do. Most soapmakers come and go. You also need to market yourself and put yourself out there. This is not a cheap hobby or business. Sadly all my shows this year have been cancelled.

Everything Shunt says. I was also the only constant at my regular craft fairs and markets, and my brand was known in a 100+ mile radius. I am not bragging it took me many years of hard work and many, up to five a week, markets to make myself known. Some good markets some bad markets. But, good consistent products. In my first couple of years, I will also agree that while my soap was nice it was nothing to write home about. Due to Covid, our Governor and health issues I made the very hard decision to shut down my business which I have enjoyed for many years. I have known for a year this was coming so I guess Covid cinched it. 😭

I sold nothing at my first craft show. Nada sale, zilch. But, it turned out to be a great show. Why? I started talking to the crafter next to me. She was in a completely different industry, but had been doing it for years and gave me some good advice and then we kept in touch and she gave me a business lead which turned out to be profitable ongoing sales. So my advice is to stick with it. So keep asking advice! The sales will eventually come.

Welcome.gif

I'm a hobbyist. I made my first soap at age 60, 17 years ago. I was fortunate to pick up some wholesale customers along the way which kept me in the black throughout my journey. Like cmzaha, I'm retired now but I still enjoy making bath and body products. There's always a challenge just around the corner.

My advice to you, Acelia, since this is a terrible time to start a business, is to make contact with the Small Business Association in your area. They have a tradition of mentoring entrepreneurs for free.

Wishing you the best of luck in your endeavor.

Latest posts

Back