Need advice on Farmer's Market...

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SoapGrove

Reaction score
Ok so my small town is trying to get vendors for a very small Farmer's Market to go on. I spoke with one of the women setting it up (there are 2 women) and they are looking into all the licenses and paperwork we all need to get this going.

I would love to sell my soap. I really would...it's like 3 blocks away from me and would love to be apart of something going on in my community.

When I spoke to first woman she said that I would need to commit to EVERY sunday from June-Oct. the fee was wonderful so that's not a problem. I provide table and tent. Not a problem either. I told her I could not commit but can do every other Sunday for sure. She came back to me pretty fast saying please don't say no so fast and to think about it. I told her I don't want to commit to something I am on the fence about because I like to keep my word on things like this.

She then came to me about an hour later and said "yes I just got word it will be every other weekend so that works for you! A lot of people were declining it because they couldn't commit to every week so they changed it". I said well then I am in if I only I can do it every other weekend.

Just got a notice on the FB page of the other woman saying she needs everyone's emails and numbers via PM so I sent mine over to her. I asked her now this time if I need to commit to evevery week. She said yes because the price for the season would be a weekly price if I didn't and then she can't promise me a space if there is not one available that week. So she is basically teling me the opposite from the other woman.

I don't know what to do at this point. Any advice? I can't commit to Sundays. But why would someone give me the answer I wanted to hear and then I am screwed when I couldn't be there?

They evidently want a full market every week because they no doubt have to pay rent on the space, but it sounds like if you stick to your guns you will get what you want because I don't think a new venue will turn anyone down! The 2nd woman probably thought if she said yes, you have to commit to every week then you would do so.....

Most markets that I've seen will ask you right up front which days you can commit to. No market manager would ask someone to commit to every.single.market day - that's unrealistic. Even if you have to pay for the month upfront, you just say, well I won't be able to do the 17th (or whatever) and you don't pay for that week. They will lose vendors by expecting them to be there for every market day.

Ok so now the woman who told me I needed to commit to every week told the other woman that she never said that to me. I think I am going to pass on this entire thing. Wow. I told the other woman well I can show you the PMs from FB! And I did. SHe said WOW I am going to look into this. I think it's a waste of my time at this point. I'd rather not deal with this entire back and forth ordeal. Then the woman who denied what she said to me PMs me and says Ok we can do an every other weekend. Then another PM saying she reread my question and that she can do every other weekend unless I commit. Really ? LOL

Most markets that I've seen will ask you right up front which days you can commit to. No market manager would ask someone to commit to every.single.market day - that's unrealistic. Even if you have to pay for the month upfront, you just say, well I won't be able to do the 17th (or whatever) and you don't pay for that week. They will lose vendors by expecting them to be there for every market day.

I agree. I think I just have to find a Farmer's Market around me that does it this way. Looks like I am going to have to start calling around. Thank you!

Yeah, I'd wait until they get it together and actually know what they are doing. It's always nice to be among the first at a new market, but I think I'd wait and see if they even get it off the ground.

I have a feeling they won't if this is happening already. And they plan on opening on 6/8 and this is still happening?

Update: the Woman that told me I can do every other week PM'd me today. She told me that they banned her from the Farmer's Market FB page and that she is no longer a part of it. This is just all so odd. I politely declined with the other woman. I will not be involved in this Farmer's Market. Hopefully I will be able to do others somewhere else this year.

Maybe you have dodged a bullet on this one. If it stays going, it might well be that a lot of the first people drop out as it takes some time to work out the kinks with the organisers - if too many leave then it might well fold completely. Either way, might be an idea to keep an eye on it and see how it goes, talk to some vendors there after a while about footfall and so on.

It's a new venue so like others have said, stick to your guns and be ready to walk if they won't work with you. As soap makers we turn out a wonderful product that many people are happy to spend a few extra dollars on as a luxury item. Once they see how popular your products are they will be putty in your hands, lol! We are chemistry artists :)

Back