My soaps are bumpy, not smooth, is this normal?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rchobat

Reaction score
I was watching a haul video recently on some cold process soaps and the reviewer mentioned how smooth the soaps were. My CP soaps are bumpy on the surface, not smooth. I am just curious if this is because they aren't "planed" and if this is normal or if it has something to do with my recipe? I cut my soaps with a wire cutter and I don't gel my soaps.

It depends on the thickness of your soap batter when you pour it in the mold.
When poured at a light trace, it'll be smooth.
A lot of people pour at light/medium trace and wait for the soap to thicken to create textured tops.
Gently tapping the mold on your counter top after pouring will remove any air bubbles and makes the soap smoother.

Yep. What Dag said.

Those of us who use pipe molds only have bumpy end pieces; the rest of the soap log is supremely smooth.

The smoothest soap I ever made was was totally by accident - a honeysuckle fo accelerated on me and I had to pour it quickly! It was also one the the first sculpted tops I had success with.

My soap sometimes gets little bumps on it days after it is cut, I run a plastic wall paper smoother over it.

Latest posts

Back