My next 3 batches, would really appreciate some help (done)

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dorado

Reaction score
Have read and counted and multiplied and divided, the last few weeks. :crazy:
I would really appreciate some help from you lovely soap ladies.
The first 3 soap batches I've made is pretty much gone. Must find a better place to hide them :shh:
My family have wished for 3 different soaps. I have made 3 recipes, which I would love to hear your opinions on.
I'm still new and uncertain, but I am fighting hard – just love it. I am using Soapcalc.net.

Lard soap, for young,sensitive, dry skin.
1. Lard 25%
2. OliveOil 25%
3. CoconutOil 20%
4. PalmOil 20%
5. CastorOil 10%
SF 5%
At light trace, I will add 3% Coconutcream FO mixed in 1 tbsp Sweet AlmondOil (not calculated)
This gives me Hard:41, Clean:14, Cond: 55, Bubbly: 23, Cream: 36

Coconut/Cocoa soap, for young skin, a bit dry. (animalfat not allowed.)
1. OliveOil 30%
2. CoconutOil 20%
3. PalmOil 30%
4. CastorOil 10%
5. CocoaButter 10%
SF 5%
At light trace, I will divide in 2, add 2 tbsp cocoapowder to ½ and 3% coconutcream FO to the other ½.
Again, I will mix Cocoapowder and FO in 1 tbsp AlmondOil each, (not calculated)
Hopefully, I can manage a little swirl. :shifty:
This gives me Hard: 42, Clean:14, Cond: 55 Bubbly: 23, Cream: 37

Lavender Soap, for dry skin. My sister brought a bag full of lavender flowers, she would appreciate exchanged for lavender soap! I have made lavender-infused oliveoil.
1. Lavenderinfused OliveOil 25%
2. CoconutOil 15%
3. PalmkernelOil 15%
4. PalmOil 25%
5. SunflowerOil (low) 10%
6. CastorOil 10%
SF 5%
At light trace, I will add first 2% purple micapowder dissolved in 1 tbsp lavenderinfused AlmondOil
then 3% Lavender FO, also dissolved in 1 tbsp lavenderinfused AlmondOil (not calculated)
This gives me Hard: 43, Clean: 20, Cond: 53, Bubbly 29, Cream: 32

I will make 1000 grams (app 2 lb) of each.
What do you think about my recipes - will they be good :?:
The AlmondOils I use for color and FO, are not included in my Lyecalc.
And 1 big question: I've used 5% superfat, it is true that the 2 tbsp extra almond oil, I add (= 30 ml, equivalent to 3% of the total amount of oil) will increase SuperFat to 8% :?:

Re: My next 3 batches, would really appreciate some help

The first two sound fine but the third one's percentages doesn't equal 100%. I'm not sure if you planned on adding another oil or if you made a mistake on one of the percentages.

Also for the third recipe, I want to mention I have dry, sensitive skin and you have listed 15% coconut and 15% palm kernel which can make for a more drying soap. I know this high of percentage would be too drying for my skin unless I used a much higher SF or added buttermilk or cream to the recipe with 8% SF.

I calculated the 2nd batch on SoapCalc and adding 28 g of sweet almond for 1000 g batch would be more like 7% SF. But I'd add all the oils together and use a higher SF because lye is still active at trace and it can continue to saponify the oils for a day or two. Even longer it you don't gel. So, you won't know what oils will remain unsaponified. You could try hot process and add sweet almond after the cook if you want it to remain unsaponified.

Thank you Hazel.
Yes, ups - error - PalmOil slipped out - have corrected it now.
Will try to calculate with lower CO PKO.

I will change the SF 8%
I'm no sure, if I am going to gel this one, but I might try to gel one of the others.
Not quit ready to try HP,

Okay, that's better. :lol:

This is just a suggestion but I'd lower the percentage of either the CO or the PKO by 5% and up the OO by 5%. This would give you a slightly milder soap - Hard: 37, Clean: 16, Cond: 60, Bubbly: 25, Cream: 30. These values are close to what I like to have when I make soap for myself. It's going to be slightly softer but it's not going to be terribly soft. I'd also add approximately 40 g of sugar to the batch (dissolve the sugar in enough water and then add to the batch). But this is just my opinion and your sister might love your original recipe. You won't know until you make it.

BTW, I entered this into SoapCalc using the percentages you gave, then switched to the grams option and added 28 g of SAO. So, the batch is actually 1028 g.

Thank you Hazel - you're still my angel. :angel: You deserve a magnetic soap holder (Danish thing) :wink:
Unbelievable so many people have dry, and delicate skin today. We should eat the oil instead of using it for soap, but it's not the same fun. :lol:
I've spent time today correcting the recipe for lavender soap. Removed Palm kernel oil, changed a bit, and added a little luxury. :oops:
My recipe today ended up like this:

1. Lavender infused Olive Oil 30%
2. Coconut oil 20%
3. Palm oil 25%
4. Sunflower oil 10%
5. Castor Oil 10%
6. Shea Butter 5% (my sister deserves a little luxury)
SF 8%
It gives me Hard: 37, Clean: 14, Cond: 60, Bubbly: :thumbup: 23 Cream: 32
Still need Calculating the almond oil, must try again. (my internet connection is very unstable today because of high winds).
I'll try your suggestion, you have 2 bubbles more - I love big bubbles. :clap:
I will def. try the sugar to improve bubbles, is it correct to add it to the lye just before the oils :?: where did you get the 40 gr from :?:

I mixed the oils such because I do not have as much of each oil here in Denmark. Oils are very expensive here - almost double price. Except for corn-, rapeseed-, sunflower-oil and lard. We pay 25% tax + 7% extra (ridiculous) fat tax :cry:
I have Rapeseed Oil, I would have used, but can not find fatty acid values for it :think: so it must wait.
I want the soap as light as possible so I do not disturb the purple color with the greenish olive color.

Ooh! That sounds lovely! Please let me know what your sister says about it.

I add approximately 4% sugar to my batches so I just took 1000 g x 4% and got 40 g. Some people use less sugar and some people use more. The member who first mentioned sugar to me said she uses 5% sugar based on oil weight. I don't know why I switched to using 4%. Somewhere along the way, I dropped the sugar percentage and just kept using the lower amount. I have soft water here so I've never really had a problem with soap not producing some bubbles with the lather. You might want to consider using 5% if you have hard water or a high mineral content.

There have been comments made that sugar doesn't help increase bubbles. I've tried with sugar and without sugar and I think it does give a little extra boost to the bubbles. You don't have to add sugar if you don't want it. I remove enough water from the total amount, warm it and then dissolve the sugar in it. I don't bother with adding it back into the rest of the water or adding it to the lye solution. I just add the the sugar water to the oils, add the lye solution and start blending. But I'm kind of a lazy soapmaker. I tend to do what I've found to be the easiest way for me.

I've found that for dry skin or problem skin, a soap with a lower cleansing number is more favorable. Castile, known to be the most mild has a cleansing number of zero.

I just made a recipe last night that the author said, "this is what my tired old wrinkly skin keeps coming back to" and it had a cleansing of 7.

I have issues with dryness also, and my favorite bar comes in at 10 cleansing.

So I break it down like this: my mens soaps have a higher cleansing of 21. family soaps that are a good, all purpose soap run about 14-17 cleansing. And dry/elderly/sensitive/problem skin will come in under 10 cleansing.

Thanks Loolee.
I would love to invent a babymild soap with tons of bubbles :D
I am working a lot, with soapcalc.net, spending hours in there :oops:
Def. want to try a Castile /Bastile - also have :idea: about a Marseilles-soap.
Right now, I need some cleanvalues in the soaps for my family with sensible skin.
One is a carpinter (the lard soap), my sister is working in her garden every day (the lavender soap),
only my niece does not need cleaning (coconut/cocoa soap), she just wants bubbles and cream.
Love your ideá about only 10 in cleaning, but what happends with your bubbles :?:

Have made the Lardsoap today - looking forward to unmold it tomorrow. :clap:

Would like to show you my soaps.

[attachment=2:iijf8c5d]IMG_2488-600.jpg[/attachment:iijf8c5d]

[attachment=1:iijf8c5d]01. IMG_2500-600.jpg[/attachment:iijf8c5d]

[attachment=0:iijf8c5d]IMG_2505-600.jpg[/attachment:iijf8c5d]

Attachments

• IMG_2488-600.jpg
    IMG_2488-600.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 212
  • 01. IMG_2500-600.jpg
    01. IMG_2500-600.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 2,110
  • IMG_2505-600.jpg
    IMG_2505-600.jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 237
Re: My next 3 batches, would really appreciate some help (do

They all look great and I'm really impressed with the swirls in the choco-coco soap. Those are beautifully done. :D

Re: My next 3 batches, would really appreciate some help (do

Thank you. :oops:

Have to make a full batch of choclate teddybears :lol: kids just love them.

Latest posts

Back