My New Soaping Room!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KristaY

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm just so excited to share my new soaping area with everyone! Luckily for me, I have a hubby that's in the construction field so "little" projects like this are a snap for him, lol.

I've been soaping for over a year and finally decided the passion isn't going away. My family has been really patient with my "crap" all over the place so we finally came up with a good solution. We're empty nesters now (which is horrible!) so we decided to convert our daughter's old bedroom, which became my craft room, into a craft/soap room. I can't really call it a kitchen as I decided not to add plumbing or a stove. That would have added a large cost, plus taken up too much space.

The total cost of the project was about $700. We purchased most of the supplies (counter tops, under-counter cabinetry, shelving, etc) from Home Depot. A lot of stuff I didn't have to buy as it was lying about (lumber, hardware, décor, etc). Here's how it progressed:

Day 1 - You'll see the clutter. I had to clean all that out and re-arrange furniture. Ick!
Day 2 - Finished the de-clutter and cleaning. Shopping for supplies. I put all the under-counter cabinets together.
Day 3 - Construction. This stage took my husband and son about 2 hours to complete. They built the countertops, put in the shop light, and over head shelves. Then I got to work on the minor details.
Day 4 - I finished the décor. The "wall art" is a 2012 calendar I had in my kitchen. Each page is a different spice, vegetable, fruit, flower, etc. I knew there was a reason I kept it! I cut it apart then matted each in a different bright color. Tomorrow I move in all my soaping "crap" and get back to work!

Darn it! I can't the photos to attach. I'll keep trying....

Finally!

Whew! I finally got the other 2 posted. These are "before" photos. You can REALLY appreciate how different the room looks now. :wink: For anyone else having problems posting photos, I had to go to the "photo re-sizing" tool on SMF. Once they were smaller, they attached right away. When I tried to upload from standard size, they wouldn't. More gremlins maybe....:D

Pic 2a.jpg

Pic 2b.jpg

Pic 3a.jpg

Pic 3c.jpg

Pic 3g.jpg

Pic 3k.jpg

Pic 4a.jpg

Pic 4e.jpg

Pic 4f.jpg

Pic 1b.jpg

Pic 1c.jpg

scroll down to 'quick reply' below and at the bottom of it you'll see a 'manage attachements' button. Just click that, chose your picture, click upload and then you are set! :)

What a wonderful space! I see your supervisor, (cat) approves. As soon as I finish this blasted floor and can get the house (my Dad's) on the market, I am planning an addition to my home. I had already designed my quilt room, now I will have to re-do to accommodate soaping. Thanks for the inspiration pictures.

"Dogs have owners, Cats have staff"

What a wonderful space! I see your supervisor, (cat) approves. As soon as I finish this blasted floor and can get the house (my Dad's) on the market, I am planning an addition to my home. I had already designed my quilt room, now I will have to re-do to accommodate soaping. Thanks for the inspiration pictures.

"Dogs have owners, Cats have staff"

Thanks Cindy2428! And yes, Max (my cat) is always my job supervisor. I'm definitely his staff, lol. (I love your quote, BTW!)

lucky you to have a separate room for soaping! all that space!

Thanks everyone! I'm moving in today so I'm hoping I can start work tonight. I ended up with a 10' counter and a 6' counter. The "L" shape should be lots easier to work in as I was previously making soap on my kitchen island so was walking in a rectangle. I haven't been able to make soap for over a week due to out of town company and then construction. I think I'm having soaping with-drawls! :thumbdown:

That is a fantastic space. I just got yelled at because my hobby has taken over the house. I live in a cozy apartment, so space is prime here. We are looking for a house, I can't wait. I can see it now. Hubby is a keeper, congrats.

I love this - Wonderful remodel! I won't be an empty-nest mum for a bit yet, but I plan on turning an area in my house into my crafting/soaping area as well - are your handymen booked in say 6 years? :)

Latest posts

Back