My first ever soap is nice, thanks to info on this forum.

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Westmac

Reaction score
Just saying thanks to all the folks on here. I researched, read, researched more, hoping first attempt would be at least decent. So far my g/f and her oldest daughter (may as well be my kid, we been together for years). They both gave it a big thumbs up. Waiting on my sleep pants to dry and I'm taking a test drive on it before bed. It's a mostly beef tallow recipe I came up with and coconut oil being other largest content. Couple other oils in there, I rendered the tallow myself (through more reading/ research) nice clean white tallow. I'll update after I try it. I'm waiting on my potassium lye to get here to make shave soap (my primary goal) and stearic acid. But again, thanks all who post their experience here, your input really helped me make my first batch without volcanos and other hiccups lol.

I'll be basing my shave recipe on a modified take of songwind's shave recipe that brought me here. I read that entire thing, I made this hard bar bath soap as a test to kinda see the things in reaction to know what to expect. I know from reading I'll see certain reactions faster. I'll still on fence about splitting stearic from other fats (2 stage that was mentioned a ton) though first time a round to possibly reduce volcano chances I'm thinking of using it. Again thank you all.

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum. When did you make the soap? The longer is cures, the better it gets. If you just made it, let it cure about a month. It will last much longer and be a milder, better sudsing soap.:)

Yesterday lol. .. I've read it's much better after cure, but we couldn't wait to give it a test. Good thing i went with hot process lol.

Just made my 3rd batch lol, made another flowery scent for the woman lol. This last batch is for me, used espresso for my lye water for the color, and scented with cedarwood, sandalwood, balsam fir, patchouli, and bergamot. Has a nice cologne type scent. Though when packing into say a open mold, how do I stop the flaking type surface? All 3 batches have done this.

Last edited by a moderator:
Westmac I'm into hot processed soap as well. Have had dry flaky top. After some research I have finally come up with something to try with my next batch. Some cling wrap to fit on top of soap in mold pressed onto the surface. Have tried the bubble wrap for my honey soaps and was very effective so can't see that plastic wrap would cause any problems. Anyone else tried this?

I was thinking maybe trying something similar, or just getting a closed mold that I could give it more pressing. I don't know at this point, the shave soap I intend to do it won't matter as it'll be soft after it's done. But with my bar soaps I'd like to get a smoother surface.

Back