Mozambique orphanage

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JP4

Reaction score

Well, maybe this won´t fit this forum, bur I do believe it is an interesting project, so...here it is.
The soap in this photo is one of 400 that we are sending to an orphanage in Mozambique.
Most of these orphans lost their parents to AIDS :cry:
The children over there have great needs, from food to health care, and they are even out of... You gessed, soap !
they are handed each year a small 200 gr soap. It has to last throughout the all 12 months... of course it doesn´t, so they end up bathing only in water.
So, we are sending these 400 soaps over, and in December will send another 400.
We are aware it is not a bit help. but... that´s what we can manage, at least for now.
The soaps are citronella-scented, in the hope that it will help to keep mosquitoes away for a while. You know they have a serious problem with malaria.
The logo stamped on the soap belongs to the orphanage.

Thanks!

Excellent! Yes, so often I take for granted the basic necessities of life --but there are so many people in the world that suffer from a lack of those basics -- soap being one. You read a bit about it on the internet, the increase of disease and infection because people do not have the means to stay clean.

Well Done!

What a good heart you have, JP. Sounds like a very worthwhile cause. Do you mail the soaps to someone in particular? Does it go with a charity which gets stuff to the orphanage? how did you find out about this one orphanage? (I assume there are several in Africa).

Thank you all, as a matter of fact I am not doing much, it´s just a little time and effort I am getting in to this, the real hero :) is my sister, she is working with a non-profit organization from Italy that is trying to help in re-organizing the educational system in Mozambique, and it was her who felt touched by the poverty of those people and decided to do something to help. She is trying to get a sea container to carry several computers, clothing books and soap, of course.
It´s not an easy task to accomplish, but there are so many people willing to help I am sure she will succeed.
Again, thank you all for your support!

we all have soap scraps, could we mail some to her? i assume she has a big amt of stuff going at one time?can we get in on it??

honor435 said:
we all have soap scraps, could we mail some to her? i assume she has a big amt of stuff going at one time?can we get in on it??

ooohh! good idea!

Well, that seems a great idea, although I do not know what the shipping cost may be... and there is also the customs issue, but since the scraps have no commercial value, that may be not a problem.
My sister is going to Africa on the 7th August, so the clock is ticking, but she will be back there in December, I suppose by then maybe we will have a few kilos of soap to send down there :)
I think I have some room to spare here and create a temporary "warehouse" so the adress is :

João A. Paulo
Rua Serpa Pinto, 30, Lj 6
2640-534 Mafra
Portugal

Also, if you have any old toys (not battery-operated, I think they don´t have batteries at all) you don´t need anymore or children books, I am sure they will be most welcome.

God bless you all

Latest posts

Back