Mold questions

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Deb

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I have three lovely molds in just the size I want 'em. They're metal and I line them with silicone paper.

I hate lining with paper, I always get wrinkles and end up losing the 'ends'.

I'd like to either switch to silicone, or HDPE.

I know I love my smaller round silicone molds, and I'd put a wood frame around them so they could stay thin and flexible if I made some. The one I have no experience with is HDPE. Do you need a liner with that? If you got say...
http://www.soapequipment.com/ltmolds/#Quad

woudl I need to line them? or is it a straight pour, dissassemble, wash?

Cheers
Deb

HDPE is compatible wih lye. As long as you don't exceed it's temperature rating and your fragrances are compatible with it, you're fine.

I doubt there are any fragrances that would attack HDPE but some might stain it.

Thanks Donnie, but its not stains I'm worried about. i'm more concerned with removeabilty!

technically HDPE molds don't need a liner, but many use one anyway because the soap can stick unless it's very well seasoned. Even with my 6 year old kelsei, I stretched a sheet of saran over the bottom...

I have a PVC mold that doesn't require lining, but I find if I just drape some freezer paper along the long side, it's much easier to deal with. I don't mind putting down some freezer paper...it's trying to get those clean mitre corners when lining all sides that frustrates me. I've also coated it with a bit of mineral oil. Both work, but the freezer paper method is the easier and best, IMO.

I have a dozen HDPE molds, and while theoretically you don't need to line them, in real life lining them with freezer paper will make your life much easier.

Also they don't need as much cleaning (if any) if you line them...

Sounds like silicone might be the way to go then.

Thanks everyone for the feedback!

Latest posts

Back