Milk soap question

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

littlefrodo

Reaction score
I want to try to make a coconut milk soap, but I wondered if anyone had tried a recipe using 100% coconut oil (with 20% superfat) with coconut milk instead of water. It seems like it'd be a nice bar, but I'm not sure.

I also read about using goat's milk powder and just adding it at trace (already mixed with some oil) instead of hydrating it and freezing it. That might be an easier place to start?

I made this once and loved it. I used 100% canned coconut milk that I froze first. I just made sure to stir continuously while adding the lye to prevent scorching.

I still have some canned milk to get through but when that runs out I might try the powdered. I usually use 50% canned evaporated goats milk added directly to the oils and 50% water for the lye solution. I like this method because to me it's easier and I'm still using the equivalent of 100% goats milk.

Last edited:
Thank you! Do you know if it makes a difference whether one uses refined or virgin coconut oil?

I don't think it makes a difference. The virgin (unrefined) still has a coconut scent and flavor but both melt at 76 degrees.

I've made a coconut milk soap with 100% CO, 20 % SF, and coconut milk as the full water amount. I freeze it before adding the lye to it. I've also made a 100% CO without coconut milk. The bars without have a bubbly lather. The ones with coconut milk have a creamier lather.

I also make a 100% coconut oil bar. 20% SF, with coconut milk. I prefer the coconut milk to the water, but they both make nice bars.

Latest posts

Back