making up lip balm and lotion bar base....

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

txsoaper

Reaction score
If you make up extra of say lip balm or lotion bar base, can you just "scoop" out some of the mixture and melt it if you just need a little bit, or is it necessary to re-melt the entire mix? Someone told me once that you should re-melt the entire mix to ensure the oils were properly distributed because some of the heavier oils would settle first. Is this true? I would like to be able to scoop out a little, add my EO's and pour into the mold or tube and be done. It would make my life much easier. :D

I make a bunch of lip balm base and I just use as needed by scooping out the desired amount to melt. I've only been making lip balms for 8 or 9 months, but within that time I've never had any probelms doing it this way.

When I make my base, I melt everything, temper it for 10 minutes for good measure, and swirl it around real well before immediately throwing it into my freezer, so things don't have much of a chance of 'settling out'. Once completely solidified, I store it in my fridge. So far, all my batches have been good to the last scoop.

IrishLass :)

Thanks Irishlass! I am going to do this also. I think by immediately cooling it, that would prevent much separation of oils. It would be nice to just scoop out a tiny bit, add a few drops of flavor or EO to the customers order and fill up the mold or tube.

I've never had any separation in my lip balm "base" - and I make up big amounts and let cool at room temp.

Latest posts

Back