Making first baby soap. Question.

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

godschild

Reaction score
My loved one wants me to make some baby soap for a girl that's staying at her house. I've searched the forum and didn't see anything about my question so here goes. A lot of the baby soap recipes I've seen contain goat's milk. I had planned on making an hp 98% olive oil, 2% stearic acid, and I guess I'll use goat's milk for the liquid. Please don't shoot me for these numbers as I'm flying blind in this. My question other than what you think about the recipe, is about the goat's milk. I was allergic to milk when I was a baby. Have yall come across any problems using goat's milk in your baby soap and allergies? Help plz. Oh yeah, I have some silk cocoons and shea butter too. Should I add some of those and if so, what percent? They could be allergic to those things and the parents not know it yet too. Signed, concerned about allergic babies!

Last edited:
I would do 50% lard, 45% olive oil and 5% castor. It will cure quicker then the 95% castor and with the lard, t will be very gentle and creamy. Milk really doesn't do much as far as being more gentle use it or water as you wish but I wouldn't add anything else. Less in more in some cases.

I would skip the stearic and just do olive and goats milk with a good sf. there is much less likelihood of allergies with gm than cows milk.

I'll do the lard, oo, and castor. I know the baby is 8 months old and I will tell her that under NO circumstances, is she to use it on her baby's head and that it will burn its eyes. I like the lard choice because it's noncomedogenic. It will be better for the baby than the soap she's using on her baby now that's filled with chemicals. I wish I would've had some handmade soap when my son was a baby. Unfortunately, I didn't know there was such. She's going to use soap regardless and I would rather her at least have the choice to use all natural. Thanks for your help.

Also leave out any scent or colour or anything like that. I would also say, from what I have read, that it should only be used sparingly, certainly not every bath time. Water alone is fine and too much soap is suggested to be a reason why many babaies get skin problems.

Back