Making Balm for tattoo

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey there,

I have been getting lots off tattoos lately .

Im looking to make a tattoo balm .

I would like to us carnauba wax instead of beeswax

I was wondering a starting ratio between my butter oils and waxes .

Hoping someone can help me out .

Thanks soap fam !

Hey there,

Thanks soap fam !

A quick search of the forum will find you lots of balm info and recipes,, like this one:
Post in thread 'Lotion bar recipe question' Lotion bar recipe question

Hey there,

Thanks soap fam !

I'd use unrefined beeswax instead as it has its own very potent healing properties. It's the type of beeswax which still smells of honey, quite strongly, and is a medium brown in color.

The ratio between oils / betters / wax/es depends on the texture you wish your 'balm' to have. That takes experimentation. Take notes the entire way through, and use a scale to weight your oils, waxes & butters.

This is a product I am adding to my product line next year, actually, so I'll refrain from assisting the 'competition' any further on this one 😁

I'd use unrefined beeswax instead as it has its own very potent healing properties. It's the type of beeswax which still smells of honey, quite strongly, and is a medium brown in color.

The ratio between oils / betters / wax/es depends on the texture you wish your 'balm' to have. That takes experimentation. Take notes the entire way through, and use a scale to weight your oils, waxes & butters.

This is a product I am adding to my product line next year, actually, so I'll refrain from assisting the 'competition' any further on this one 😁
Amazing . I got my balm down pat now . I made about 12 of them to get it right .

Super fun because you can make them so quick . Can get a lot done in a few days !

I appreciate the posts and ll the help .

@Mike E So sorry I missed your post! My daughter has a few tattoos and we like creating together sometimes. She asked me for a tattoo balm, I happened to have one (I think from Better Shea Butter). This is our version of that recipe.

Vegan Tattoo Ointment
Promote healing and decrease irritation and inflammation with creamy Tattoo Ointment! This can also be used to maintain an existing tattoo and surrounding skin. Vegan.

Apply and allow to absorb into the skin. Repeat twice a day or as needed.

Utilizing only the highest-quality organic Shea Butter… rich in vitamin E, which helps diminish skin scarring, and vitamin A, which helps keep skin firm. Shea oil is rich in triterpene, a compound thought to reduce pain and inflammation. Oleic, stearic, and linoleic acids are all found in shea oil. These fatty acids, which help water and oil mix, also help your skin absorb shea butter. Hempseed Oil is rich in Omega fatty acids and proteins, helping rejuvenate skin and reduce inflammation. Used topically, Pine Essential Oil is reputed to soothe itchiness, inflammation, and dryness, control excessive perspiration, prevent fungal infections, protect minor abrasions from developing infections, slow the appearance of signs of aging, and enhance circulation. Rosemary is anti-bacterial, controls sebum production, is an anti-inflammatory, antioxidant, helps reduce puffiness, and contains soothing properties.

Ingredients
  • 4 oz Shea Butter
  • 2 oz Hempseed Oil
  • .5 oz Carnauba Wax (vegan)
  • 10 drops Pine Essential Oil
  • 15 drops Rosemary Essential Oil
Instructions
  • Place shea butter, hempseed oil, and carnauba wax in a double boiler on low heat until the ingredients turn liquid.
  • Removed from heat and allow it to cool to 85 degrees.
  • Add essential oils and mix.
  • Place liquid in refrigerator until firm but not solid.
  • Remove from refrigerator and whip until light and fluffy.
  • Place mixture in jars and seal tightly with lid.

@Mike E So sorry I missed your post! My daughter has a few tattoos and we like creating together sometimes. She asked me for a tattoo balm, I happened to have one (I think from Better Shea Butter). This is our version of that recipe.

Vegan Tattoo Ointment
Promote healing and decrease irritation and inflammation with creamy Tattoo Ointment! This can also be used to maintain an existing tattoo and surrounding skin. Vegan.

Apply and allow to absorb into the skin. Repeat twice a day or as needed.

Utilizing only the highest-quality organic Shea Butter… rich in vitamin E, which helps diminish skin scarring, and vitamin A, which helps keep skin firm. Shea oil is rich in triterpene, a compound thought to reduce pain and inflammation. Oleic, stearic, and linoleic acids are all found in shea oil. These fatty acids, which help water and oil mix, also help your skin absorb shea butter. Hempseed Oil is rich in Omega fatty acids and proteins, helping rejuvenate skin and reduce inflammation. Used topically, Pine Essential Oil is reputed to soothe itchiness, inflammation, and dryness, control excessive perspiration, prevent fungal infections, protect minor abrasions from developing infections, slow the appearance of signs of aging, and enhance circulation. Rosemary is anti-bacterial, controls sebum production, is an anti-inflammatory, antioxidant, helps reduce puffiness, and contains soothing properties.

Ingredients
  • 4 oz Shea Butter
  • 2 oz Hempseed Oil
  • .5 oz Carnauba Wax (vegan)
  • 10 drops Pine Essential Oil
  • 15 drops Rosemary Essential Oil
Instructions
  • Place shea butter, hempseed oil, and carnauba wax in a double boiler on low heat until the ingredients turn liquid.
  • Removed from heat and allow it to cool to 85 degrees.
  • Add essential oils and mix.
  • Place liquid in refrigerator until firm but not solid.
  • Remove from refrigerator and whip until light and fluffy.
  • Place mixture in jars and seal tightly with lid.
This is amazing !

Thank you so much for sharing the recipe .

Is this more of a body butter?

Ill will give it a go and let you know how it goes.

Thank you very much .

Hey there,

How long will airbrush tattoo last
Thanks soap fam !
Hi,
I have just gotten a new tattoo and the tattooist has given me silver nitrate gel and Vaseline to put on it, I was bored so was searching tattoo after-care and have read several times to not use Vaseline and some sites say don't use an antiseptic cream (silver nitrate is antiseptic).

I'm not sure what I should do, do I follow the tattooists recommendations?

He did mention that I should use the antiseptic because it had a lot of shading.

Also it is only black, no colour

Thanks for any help

Hi,
A Tattoo is technically an abrasion wound. Ever skin the side of your leg? As a kid. So, antibacterial would be recommended. For the first 7- 10 days. Keep it moist, not wet. (To prevent scabbing) Not covered, unless to protect from dirty eviroment. Once the initial closure flakes off (dead skin). A simple moisturizer will do. Until tattoo is completely healed.
Vaseline is petroleum based. Heavy on the skin and clogs the pores. I always recommended bacitracin. Petroleum based also. But lighter on the skin. Also has anti bacterial ingredients. Never liked the bees wax based formulas. Oops forgot, congratulations on your new tattoo!

Latest posts

Back