Using Guar Gum as a Thickener

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

diynewbie

Reaction score
Hello all! I have a recipe for liquid laundry detergent but of course it thins out when fragrance is added to it. I've been experimenting with using salt to thicken it but no luck there. So I want to try using guar gum as I know it's a great thickener and I read on another site where a user found success with using it to thicken her homemade laundry detergent. I plan on using glycerin to create a slurry mixture but I'm having trouble trying to figure out the glycerin to guar gum ratio as I know too much guar gum can be an issue. Can anyone offer some pointers on how much glycerin to guar gum to use? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

What is your laundry detergent made of?

Since you're only using glycerin to disperse the guar gum, use as little glycerin as possible. With a pipette, add the glycerin to your guar gum a drop at a time, until it's just enough to make a paste.

Haven’t used Guar before but also interested.

Lotioncrafter sells “Guar Cat” and they have a formulation guide and technical data sheet there. Looks like 0.2-0.4%

Please share your Laundry Detergent recipe and how much fragrance/salt you’re adding. I am curious to learn more

Latest posts

Back