making a goat milk soap a true pink or light red

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Maythorn

Reaction score
Is the only thing um pink or pink or rose clays? I keep ending up with tan soap when I color with micas and f d & c colorants. It's not the scent which is not supposed to D. I could lower the amout of goat milk but I don't want to do that too much.

Clays are really a pretty earthy rose or pink. Certainly not any kind of candy pink or like an actual flower like a rose.

I have yet to find a supplier that can offer a reliable pink when there's goat milk and I've been asking. I haven't had much trouble at all with green, yellow or blue. Purple I haven't tried.

Thanks for answering my post, though, charlotte.

You are most welcome. I used the tkb grape pop to good results for purple but of course I cant get those any longer !

I'm relatively new to soapmaking. But I've been making most of my soaps with our goats' milk. I've not yet done a pink color. But I just made some soap using red sandalwood that turned out a beautiful dark maroon. And today I just put a quick batch together using annatto seed and got a nice yellow color.

I've gotten a brown-ish color in one of my first goat milk soaps. But it was since then that I learned I've got to keep the temperature down when I'm adding the lye to the milk. And I do not combine the oils and lye/milk until the temperature's about 110F or- better- lower. I don't know enough at this point, of course, but maybe you'll be able to get a pink color if you keep the temperatures down. Really, I've learned it's best to keep the lye/goat milk temp no higher than about 95F, and adding the oils about that temp as well.

Don't know if this helps. But it's what I've been doing. ;-) And I'm looking forward to trying even more natural colorings-- including a pink!

- Cathy

I never knew what tkb meant, either. There's such a thing as mauve clay sold by Oregon Trails Soaps Supplier. Probably a far cry from purple though. :lol: Looks like a rich pinkish brown to me. Maroon soap sounds beautiful and I think I saw red sandalwood powder on OR Trails, too.

Maybe if I mixed a little blue colorant in with the pink clay soap there would be less of an adobe color and more of a mauve.

I soap cool and throw in the milk after adding lye water to the oils. I tried adding lye to frozen and oh, my achin' back as I stood there adding cautiously, stirring, adding more, stirring. Well, you know!

TKB Trading is a supplier of mineral makeup components including mica's and pigments. I used to use them when I was into making my own eyeshadows etc. I still have about $150 worth of pigments and mica's but I just can't be bothered tossing them into the soap. The extra step of mixing up a colour oil is too much for my laziness.... :lol: They stock and sell Carmine which is what you'd need for a true red\pink, I have some. The trouble is, I'm not sure it would be colour-safe in soap as I've never tried it. I also don't know if the goat's milk would affect the colour. I suppose I could stop being super-lazy and test it out. :roll:

Sad to hear that the pop mica's are gone because they were awesome for mixing your own colours and you didn't have to buy a selection of pre-made colours. I guess my 1Oz bags are now a collectors item.

Update - Ok, here is proof at least that Carmine is usuable and stable in CP soap.

http://www.aussiesoapsupplies.com.a...orials-recipes/neroli-shea-butter-cp-log.html

Bear in mind that soap colour was an orange dye mixed with Carmine hence why it's a coral pink. Now the only thing to test would be Carmine in goats milk soap and how the goats milk affects the colour. Carmine's expensive but you don't need much as it's super intense. Just a fraction of a teaspoon ppo. Just thinking out loud now but would TD reduce the tan in your soap allowing you to get a true pink with carmine?

I would try a very small quantity of pink kaolin clay or a burgundy or red oxide. In small quanities, they can make a very nice pink.

With the micas, if you don't use enough, you will get a very muted color, especially in a milk soap. I get better mileage with the oxides.

Beet juice will turn your soap brown. So will hibiscus tea. Ask me how I know! :D

p.s. carmine is made from boiling teeny tiny bugs in a chemical solution which some may find icky. As you're doing goat milk soap, no vegan concerns, but for vegetable-based soaps for vegetarians/vegans, carmine would be a problem. Just a heads up.

Back