Colorants in goat's milk soap?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Super quick question - will adding micas to my goat's milk be successful once the bars cure? I've made just one batch of goat's milk soap, and now that it has been sitting for two months, it's become a light tan brown color. I don't want to waste my micas if they're known to just turn brown along with the soap.

Thanks!

If you buy mica formulated for CP soap from a reputable supplier, they should hold up perfectly well in goat milk soap. If the mica isn't stable in CP soap it will be noted by the supplier. A lot of people have had problems with mica morphing or fading that has been purchased on Amazon, for example.

Super quick question - will adding micas to my goat's milk be successful once the bars cure? I've made just one batch of goat's milk soap, and now that it has been sitting for two months, it's become a light tan brown color. I don't want to waste my micas if they're known to just turn brown along with the soap.

Thanks!
What fragrance did you use? Many of them, especially those with vanillin content, will turn the soap anywhere from light tan to dark brown.

Thanks, all! I don't know why my soap browned - I just assumed that must be what happens with using the goat's milk. My micas are from Brambleberry. I'll give them a try. And I love the idea of the carrot tissue oil!
I have been making goat's milk soap almost exclusively because I was overly ambitious and bought a whole a gallon at the start. I froze it all in ice cube trays and make my lye solution with the frozen milk. I have never had a recipe turn brown (during or after). I also don't insulate, but rather go cold (in the fridge) if I feel heat when pouring in the mold because I prefer to avoid gel phase with my milk recipes.
But, as mentioned above, we would need to see your recipes and know your process to know what caused the color change while curing 🤷🏼‍♀️ After all, soaping is a fickle mistress 😄

Latest posts

Back