Lye vendors

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stacey

Reaction score
Who/where do you buy your lye from?

I'm gettin' sorta tired of going to my local home improvement store to buy my lye in small 1lb containers for $3.79. I wonder sometimes if it would be cheaper/easier to buy it in a bulk-ier form?

And that being said: If it's still sealed in the manufacturer's container, is there any problem with it going bad? I know that if the seal is broken it could get moisture in there then we got problems but if it's still sealed then no worries, right?

Good question. In my research I haven't found lye for less than $10 for two pounds plus shipping, so that 1 lb for 3.79 is a better deal. But I haven't done extensive research, so I'd like to know if anyone has found anything better.

I had to laugh when I read your questions, as I am feeling the same way. Buying 1 pound bottles (for $3.79!) every few weeks makes me wonder if they think I'm cooking meth. :oops: Probably no worries - the last time I bought some the clerk asked if I make soap.

I got my latest bunch for essential depot - 10lbs for something like $42 with free shipping, ends up being half the price of what I was getting at Ace Hardware, and I don't have to deal with the "are you a meth head" questions. The lye I got is food grade too, I think the industrial grade is cheaper yet.

I buy the food grade from AAAChemical, and I believe it's close to the $3.79 a pound you're paying for it. I buy my oils from them, too; so I usually buy a couple of pounds at a time. Of course, I'm not making a lot of batches.

Jacki

I get mine from Essential Depot as well. One thing I like is how they package it. It comes in two pound bottles with caps that are fairly easy to open, it's easy to handle the bottle, it pours very readily and once empty, you can use the bottle as a round mold, and more than once at that if you do it right. I also like that size because I don't worry about the lye hydrating in the time it takes me to use up that much. I had gotten lye from a different supplier but it was so difficult to open that I knew I would have trouble at some point and sure enough, I had the equivalent of the potato chip bag exploding when you pull the seam apart too quickly. What a mess. SInce then I've stayed with my tried and true Essential Depot (and I also use the food grade. Couldn't comment on the other grade).

Good news guy--Essential Depot's lye is currently on sale!!!!! 10 lbs Food Grade is $35.99 + Free Shipping. Just thought I'd pass it along.

There are tons of threads on this topic with lots of suggestions. But it usually boils down to how much you plan to buy. The more you can buy and store at one time the cheaper it is.

I have to drive about an hour but I found a chemical company where I can buy a 50 pound bag for a little over $50. Works out to $1.03 per pound.

When I bought a smaller quantity I always liked the Lye Guy.

This is the cheapest place I've found to buy in bulk. You have to call for pricing.

The Boyer Corporation P.O. Box 10, La Grange, IL. 60525
Call Toll Free 1-800-323-3040
http://www.boyercorporation.com

I bought a 50 gallon pail back in November. It was $55.00.

Back