Lye calculation help...Please.

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NMAriel

Reaction score
Hi Everyone, ok after my last "white soap" calculation disaster a couple of weeks ago I would like to have some help claifying my formula. I use SoapCalc9 and MMS Lye calculator at The Sage.com. I like double checking because MMS calculator I can understand their titles such as '% of excess oils". But SoapCalc9 allows me to calculate the combined oils qualities.

My dilema today is that MMS doesn't have crisco on the list, so I can't double check my formula. Can someone run this formula through a calculator and verify my numbers please. Using the MMS lye calcuator when a formula is calculated they have a column under the Lye Table called "% excess fat". I always try for 6.5%. The term
"% excess fat" is one that makes sense to me. At SoapCal9 they have a row called "Super Fat/Discount %". This is where I'm not sure if this is the same as "% excess fat" because I've tested formulas on both and sometimes the resulting lye calc is the same, and sometimes it's not. So I'm concerned that I'm using it to mean the same thing but it's not. So can you redo my formula to make sure it's right.

I tried doing a 6.5% "%excess fat", like at MMS. At SoapCal9 the results are below for a "Super Fat/Discount % of 6.5%.

Castor 3.75 oz
Crisco 5.0 oz
Olive 1.25 oz
Palm 7.5 oz
PKO 7.5 oz
lye 3.48 oz
water 9.4 oz

Thanks.

UPDATE: I just downloaded Soapmaker, and for the same formula above it says that my lye should be 3.43 oz. That's a BIG difference. Why does every calculator come up with a different number?

x

super fat, excess fat % and lye discount all mean the same thing. i dont have access to my files, but if you ran this thru soap calc, then you should be fine. you will have 93.5% soap with 6.5% free oils. that's fine. i discount anywhere from 6% to 10% on most of my recipies.

good luck to you!

monet

sap values of oils consist of a range of values and that is why each lye calculator gives you a slightly different amount of lye to use. they use a value within that range. most of the sap charts are very close to each other in lye amounts you just noticed it more because your batch size is so small.

and why it is always a good thing to use the same lye calulator for each batch of soap to give you consistant results. but in the same token good to dbl check.

this might explain it better:

http://www.fromnaturewithlove.com/resources/sapon.asp

Thank you. I checked, dbl checked, and trpl checked. And I discussed it with someone. AND I used the smallest number out of all the calculators. So I feel good about my batch. I just poured it into the mold, so hopefully no more farries here this weekend.

Thank you for the explanation. That makes sense.

Back