Lotion-2nd Try

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LauraHoosier

Reaction score
Well with the excellent tips from IrishLass and judymoody and others my second test batch is done and boy does it smell so much better. Using grams for weight was -so- much easier. And today with my head more cleared out I definitely smelled the "fishiness" of the BTMS-50 so I used it at 1% and EWax at 4%. I didn't whip it as long as I did the last batch so its thinner and better for hands and body.

I'm going to have to buy pipettes. I've been putting it off because I don't like to use anything that's a one use disposable if I can avoid it, unless I can't find a better option. When weighing out the Phenonip I hit 4 grams instead of 2 thanks, in part, to my pushy male cat, Monty, shoving into my legs when I didn't know he was there.

I poured the scent just fine, peppermint, and I'd honestly like more scent in it. You can barely smell it at 1% so I get to satisfy my need to "potch" with the amount of scent used in each batch.

Only question I have at the moment is would I drop the % of water to fit in the upward adjustment to the fragrance?

I only throw out the pipettes when they can't be used anymore... I label them or tape them into what I used them for (like preservative, or one per EO) and then use them till they break. For doing things like lip balm, they kinda have to be disposed afterward since the stuff builds up in there and I can't get it out.

For the pheno, it might be better to weigh it out into its own dish and then add it to the mix. I've accidentally added too much preservative too and had to start doing that (same with fragrance).

edit: tape them ONTO, not into.

Oh cool. I have had it in my head that they're supposed to be disposable, one use, things so that's a great help. Thanks Tasha!

Doing my test batches for lotions, creams and body butters the 1% amounts are a total pain in the behind, specially for my scale. Planning on getting a new scale anyways but I don't have it yet.

I discard disposable pipettes. They get nasty fast, as the oils catch dust, and such.

You can get glass ones that can be washed and re-used. Ones with graduations marked on them can be very accurate.

I got the idea from krissy (I think). She suggested putting them in one of those small ziploc bags, writing what it was used for on the outside. One per bag. I use the snack size bags.

Latest posts

Back