Elbalm - a solid hand lotion for climbing

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello everyone! In previous posts I had asked for advice on making a hand lotion for blister healing and climbing, since it’s a sport very rough on your hands and can sometimes lead to open blisters 😬

So pooling advice, I made my first edition. I absolutely love it, but maybe with time I can make it even better!

The most exotic and expensive ingredient was helichrysum essential oil, which cost 30 euros for 5 ml 😱 but it was from an organic farmer in Isola d’Elba in Italy and it smells fantastic. It is supposed to have “wound healing properties” with some studies in rats to back this up.

Here is the recipe I went with:

Beeswax 60g
Candelilla wax 20g
Kokum butter 40g
Mango butter 40g
Apricot kernel oil 40g
Helichrysum eo 10 ml

I have now used it immediately after climbing, and my hands are completely recovered by next morning. Think I could use less wax, since it can be slow to melt, but as soon as I get the chance I’m making it again!

Congratulations on your lotion bars! It's great to make something so quick. Our adult children climb which motivated me to duplicate a popular brand here, ClimbOn. It sells for $11 per ounce! I was very proud of myself because it has like 100 ingredients. But my kids surprised me and said that they liked my regular lotion bars more.

Congratulations on your lotion bars! It's great to make something so quick. Our adult children climb which motivated me to duplicate a popular brand here, ClimbOn. It sells for $11 per ounce! I was very proud of myself because it has like 100 ingredients. But my kids surprised me and said that they liked my regular lotion bars more.
Yes I had followed that thread! I also bought the original ClimbOn for reference. I think the trick was that it melts slowly, absorbs quickly, and actually the fact that it comes in a tube also helps.

Latest posts

Back