Looking for advice on adjusting my current recipe

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey everyone, I thought I might ask about my recipe too. I've been using it for a while now, but as I read these forums more and more, I am beginning to think I could use some tweaking to make a more moisturizing bar. I'd love some feedback as well. =)

Coconut Oil-50%
Olive Oil-15% (I get the impression that's a bit low)
Soybean Oil-15%
Vegetable Shortening-15%
Safflower oil-5%
Beeswax- 2% of the total recipe.
Bentonite clay
Milk powder
Essential Oils

Is it redundant to have Soybean Oil AND Vegetable Shortening in the recipe? Also, I've read how too much coconut oil can be drying, but I haven't found any of my soaps to be drying at all and have a really creamer lather. I've thought about switching the Safflower Oil with Castor oil to get a lather with more bubbly body. I've also considered adding shea butter to perhaps help counteract all the CCO, but I'm still on the fence. Mostly because I haven't found a supplier of it that I'm 100% happy with. (Cost of product VS shipping). Shipping kills me every time. If you guys know a Birmingham AL supplier of Shea butter, let me know!

This recipe gives me an average per bar cost of $0.83 (including labor). Depending on which EO I'm using (looking at you Patchouli) and if I'm using dried botanical additives.

Thanks for any and all advice! =)

Lnzy1 -- I have a suggestion -- I think it would be best if you please started your own thread. This thread is involved enough with just one recipe being critiqued. And I'm certain you will get more specific attention and suggestions in a new thread.

Meaning what exactly? I've always used this calculator:
http://www.brambleberry.com/pages/Lye-Calculator.aspx

I was told it automatically is set for 5%

soap calc is the lye calculator that is automatically set at 5% superfat. Brambleberry is set at 0%, scroll the very bottom of the calculator and adjust to the superfat amount you want. I generally use 8% for my preferences, 5% is considered standard for CP to be sure all the lye is used up, in case of faulty scale; variables in sap values of oils, etc..., and the soap will be safe for delicate skin.

On soapcalc, look at the top right square (in block numbered "4") and you will see it is defaulted to 5%%, which you can change to whatever amount you prefer.

Here is the soapcalc link:

http://soapcalc.net/calc/SoapCalcWP.asp

soap calc is the lye calculator that is automatically set at 5% superfat. Brambleberry is set at 0%, scroll the very bottom of the calculator and adjust to the superfat amount you want. I generally use 8% for my preferences, 5% is considered standard for CP to be sure all the lye is used up, in case of faulty scale; variables in sap values of oils, etc..., and the soap will be safe for delicate skin.

On soapcalc, look at the top right square (in block numbered "4") and you will see it is defaulted to 5%%, which you can change to whatever amount you prefer.

Here is the soapcalc link:

http://soapcalc.net/calc/SoapCalcWP.asp

Oh yeah... that's the one I use to use when I came up with my recipes. I thought it looked different (but I was on Brambleberry). I use the Brambleberry molds so I'll probably start using that one for help. I want 5oz bars and their suggested batch size didn't produce 5oz bars. I have a hard time keeping them all consistent, but I'm not sure if there's a way to really fix that other than maybe not getting such a think trace so it can flow out evenly better.

So when SF'ing with those calculators, it's just reducing the lye content?

Here's what I'm looking at now...

Castor Oil: 6.77%
Coconut Oil: 24.06%
Hempseed Oil: 9.02%
Olive Oil: 39.10%
Palm Oil: 21.05%

Back