Liquid Silk

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've never used liquid silk in soap, I've only ever used tussah silk. Which sort of feels like hair. But I think Topcat (tanya) has used liquid, hopefully she will come by. :D

I have, it's good; at 1% I get a real smooth silky feel. I add it to each and every soap I make.
Have fun with it :D

dagmar88 said:
I have, it's good; at 1% I get a real smooth silky feel. I add it to each and every soap I make.
Have fun with it :D

Do you think it is different than adding tussah silk ? I have always wondered this :?:

Kitn

I wonder too Kitn; I don't have any nearby source of Tussah; that's why I use the liquid :wink:
From what you all are discribing I think its pretty much the same.

I use the liquid ...always have. I don't know how it compares to the tussah silk fibers since I have never used those. From time to time, I forget to add the silk and I can immediately tell the difference when I wash with the no-silk bar. It is a convenience factor for me...not having to wait until the silk dissolves and also knowing exactly how much I add each time. I go with 1/2 teaspoon per lb of oils. Sometimes, a titch more. I get mine from LotionCrafters. She has alot of cool stuff for us soapers, not just for lotion and potion makers.

dagmar88 said:
I wonder too Kitn; I don't have any nearby source of Tussah; that's why I use the liquid :wink:
From what you all are discribing I think its pretty much the same.

Thanks dagmar , that's a good answer , I won't need to buy any to try it :wink:

Kitn

I've {heard} that the tussah silk is better. In fact I have even been told that the liquid will do nothing for soap but I find that hard to believe or so many supplies wouldn't be selling it for soap. Anyway, I have the liquid on hand. So that's why I was wanting to know.

I have a fabulous new tried and true recipe that I want to put some silk in. It lathers with big light bubbles but then as the water source runs out it turns to creamy bubbles and I think a touch silk would just be the crowning glory for this recipe:) I'll let ya know how it does:) (in a few weeks of course:(

I haven't tried the liquid silk - I have the silk amino acid powder and also tussah silk fibre. The powder is what is rehydrated to make the liquid silk (I think - don't hold me to that) and I was using it at around 1/2 tsp ppo in soap and it was really nice. The tussah silk fibres give the same silkiness to my soap with only a very small piece of fibres (think small, small cotton ball size) and it is much cheaper to use!

Tanya :)

Dixie said:
I've {heard} that the tussah silk is better. In fact I have even been told that the liquid will do nothing for soap but I find that hard to believe or so many supplies wouldn't be selling it for soap. Anyway, I have the liquid on hand. So that's why I was wanting to know.

If you have access to tussah; I'd prefer that. You use less, so it's cheaper. The liquid does the same for me as you girls discribe the tussah does. Maybe you could dry the liquid in a leave on product?

reallyrita said:
I use the liquid ...always have. I don't know how it compares to the tussah silk fibers since I have never used those. From time to time, I forget to add the silk and I can immediately tell the difference when I wash with the no-silk bar. It is a convenience factor for me...not having to wait until the silk dissolves and also knowing exactly how much I add each time. I go with 1/2 teaspoon per lb of oils. Sometimes, a titch more. I get mine from LotionCrafters. She has alot of cool stuff for us soapers, not just for lotion and potion makers.

Do you add liquid silk to water before lye?

Latest posts

Back