lets see your labels?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think that using natural as a term is fluffy as it is, but what does 'naturally handmade' mean? How can it be naturally handmade?

Treat yourself can be a winner, but it can also take it away from being a regular use product which might not be the aim. Is it a treat, or a treat for everyday? Making every bath time a treat? There is a difference in where it leads, as a treat is not something that you always have (or then it is no longer a treat!)

Ok, I see we're your going with this. Made naturally, or handmade naturally does not have the same ring. While I agree with you that "natural" is kind of fluffy. As far as naturally handmade, the point on which I believe is being expressed, is I use no synthetic fragrances or colors etc, which can also be confirmed from the label.. Also, it's not made by a machine, and is straight "farm to shower" another phrase that I spawned from "fork to table" point is, the 2 phrases simply catch the eye and let the potential customer know the product is A) handmade and B) it's something they may want. I thought you were going to say the "treat yourself" phrase would invite people to help themselves to the product, such as stealing. Anyhow, thanks for your input, but I'm pretty certain only the most astute of gentlemen would dig so deep. Happy soaping!

I think that using natural as a term is fluffy as it is, but what does 'naturally handmade' mean? How can it be naturally handmade?

Treat yourself can be a winner, but it can also take it away from being a regular use product which might not be the aim. Is it a treat, or a treat for everyday? Making every bath time a treat? There is a difference in where it leads, as a treat is not something that you always have (or then it is no longer a treat!)

As someone with extensive marketing experience in the US, my feeling is this is more of a cultural marketing difference. Every one of your points is valid and true, yet what the market perceives it to be is the only truth that matters.

Fluffy or not, natural sells like hotcakes right now in the US. Homemade is a grabber. Combining the two, whether they logically make sense or not, is going to attract attention.

Your point on treat is valid, but there is a caveat in marketing that outweighs the point. One of the best lines I've ever heard in regards to marketing is, "People can't always afford what they need, but they always find money to buy what they want". Make people want the "treat" and they seem to find a way to buy it. And it's usually a repeat "want", if it's a good product. :)

In the end, marketing is all about opinions. Yours are valid, mine might make sense. In the end though, the only opinion that really matters is the consumer base of the product. If it's working for Farm, then our opinions mean little to nothing. hahaha

At least I kept the handmade as one word. :)It's all good, I like hearing from different people, that's why we joined the forum. Marketing has always been an awesome subject. For example: The Efficacious Gentlemen tells me your soap is made with pride, upscale, something I may see in an expensive boutique. Maybe I'm a bit backwoods from living on a farm in the Midwest, but I honestly have no idea what that word means. I do know that it symbolizes class or something superior. In the USA, I have never heard that though, so yes I believe it may be geography playing into what someone perceives.

I think it's important to note as soapers, we all have different targets of consumers we are trying to reach. I want the customer,who like myself doesn't take life too seriously. Handmade soap is loved by college kids, senior citizens, and everyone in between. The key is having a product they enjoy, but one that is also memorable. Note: a fun looking product portrays affordability also.

One thing I think we can all agree on, is brand recognition is so important. When there are so many selling their wares, you need to stand out from the crowd. I have seen some good ones on this site for sure.

These are an example of my labels. Tincture, spa bar, Perineum bath tea

Maya, do you have a template for the round label??

i am sooo behind with labeling :( been meaning to get the labels professionally done for some time... no time yet..

these are what i have so far, all done by me on photoshop and word, pretty standard..

Seven, beautiful labels. Is that checkered paper or cloth??

As someone with extensive marketing experience in the US, my feeling is this is more of a cultural marketing difference. Every one of your points is valid and true, yet what the market perceives it to be is the only truth that matters.

Fluffy or not, natural sells like hotcakes right now in the US. Homemade is a grabber. Combining the two, whether they logically make sense or not, is going to attract attention.

Your point on treat is valid, but there is a caveat in marketing that outweighs the point. One of the best lines I've ever heard in regards to marketing is, "People can't always afford what they need, but they always find money to buy what they want". Make people want the "treat" and they seem to find a way to buy it. And it's usually a repeat "want", if it's a good product. :)

In the end, marketing is all about opinions. Yours are valid, mine might make sense. In the end though, the only opinion that really matters is the consumer base of the product. If it's working for Farm, then our opinions mean little to nothing. hahaha

Interesting and well said. :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Seven, beautiful labels. Is that checkered paper or cloth??

thank you :) the round ones are printed in a standard sticker paper, while the label for the bar soaps is done on kraft paper.

i am sooo behind with labeling :( been meaning to get the labels professionally done for some time... no time yet..

these are what i have so far, all done by me on photoshop and word, pretty standard..

I Love these checkered and striped "Kraft Paper"? I googled kraft paper and only get the brown paper. Where can I purchase the printed paper??

@kmarvel
the printed paper is actually the ones for gift wrapping. i can get them cheap over here if i buy by the dozens. i am in indonesia btw.

Grrrrr it wont let me upload several. I hope this isnt annoying.

5djuqw.jpg

rhkfa0.jpg

With these very detailed labels, are you folks using Photoshop or having a graphics place make these for you??

^^^
if you know how to use photoshop (or similar image editor), you can def make those labels by yourself easily. it's just playing with layers.

If you are new to photoshop, it can be somewhat intimidating. I *think* this was the free course a family member took from Adobe a while back... It is listed as a 13 hour course, but you could probably get to a comfy-level for label creation in short order and skip stuff that you don't need.

https://www.adobeknowhow.com/courselanding/beginners-adobe-photoshop

Okay - that one isn't from Adobe... not sure where she took it. I actually looked at the link she had sent me. Sorry!

Last edited:
Here are a couple of mine:

Lindy,

Where do you get all the different shapes for your different bottles and tins?? Do you have someone make them for you?

With labeling, I think it's fine for some to stand and some to lay, it adds variation in your display. Try to come up with similar looking design templates for each orientation/shape/size you need. Something you can tweak as you go to suit each design is useful. Coming from a design background, I would say as long as you maintain a similar look/feel and keep your logo consistant, it'll look great :)
Don't have soap yet but here are some of my other products labeled...
I do want to try make some things with craft paper too. Just ordered some; waiting for it to get here so I can play with it!

Jade,

What type of template do you use?? Do you use Photoshop or some other expensive software?? They look really nice.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jade,

What type of template do you use?? Do you use Photoshop or some other expensive software?? They look really nice.

I use Photoshop. I tried other software but that's what I'm most comfortable on (since I learned on it have the most experience with it)

I create my own templates...templates meaning I'll design a look (like for the butter and scrub jars) and then I can customize it for each product that goes into it. Then I make another template for say a bottle and use that as a basis for everything else like that. Or I make them based on product line (like all my face products should have a similar look and my body products a similar look but they should all look like they belong to the same brand/family.)

Thank you. I'm still tweaking and working it out (finding the right materials and methods to be cost efficient and easy to apply is difficult for me. I can't get them professionally printed yet; not in the budget so I have to make sure they can withstand use without getting scratched up, peeled off, etc. It's been an interesting ride for sure!

i am sooo behind with labeling :( been meaning to get the labels professionally done for some time... no time yet..these are what i have so far, all done by me on photoshop and word, pretty standard..

Grrrrr it wont let me upload several. I hope this isnt annoying.

^^^ all are amazing, as usual. Been working on the graphics for about 2 years. Still trying...
AoHBILBqPyKRyyWw6nyKAVAodSRVYLPUJyHq1zu73C2iKx9ny8oxOr9vkN9ytZMPVSXsbj7zOt3liXYMKgnxCU4mCaVqKgD0AC5KJDH5pZYmSC4c6jiWKn6BVoz4hAAA7

****. I have no idea how you guys make packaging and labels. I better look into this. I just ship raw bars. Since it's for friends and family I never thought to package it nicely

Last edited:
I bought the brown sticky labels off eBay. They come with a printer template you can use with Microsoft word so they are really easy to use. The wrap around soap labels are cheap recycled a4 card that you can buy at any stationery store. I ran it through the laser printer and cut it into strips and fixed at the back with sticky tape. You have to score the card with scissors to make it wrap round the corners neatly.

Latest posts

Back