kelp powder?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beautifulbay

Reaction score
I know kelp powder is good for the skin...can it be used in soap? Will it smell bad?

I imagine it maight make a nice color.... I'm just worried about the scent... anyone know?

I used it once too. I swirled with it and liked the look of it, but the smell was awful. I didn't scent the soap at all otherwise though, maybe you could mask it a bit.

I've not used it myself, but I've heard from others that it smells strongly of low tide if too much is used. There are some that I've read about who use it with good results, though, as long as they keep the level very low. They use it in soap with a sea-type scent to complement the fragrance. The usage rate of those that used it with good results this way was anywhere between 1/2 tsp to 1 tsp ppo.

HTH!
IrishLass :)

DONT DONT DONT

My house smelled like a public beach toilet for days - it smells so bad, so bad, so bad - oh just thinking about it makes me want to hit the Isopropyl bottle.....yep it was that bad!

I use kelp powder on one of my facial bars. The moment the kelp touches the rest of the soap the stink begins and it's really bad. As it cures the scent fades a bit but when you start using it it comes back. Thankfully after a few uses it fades to almost nothing and it's a nice mild soap for the face. I tend to scent those soaps with strong citrus EOs with some patchouli in it to anchor and hide the kelp smell.

The smell is like dead fish on a hot beach! but it does fade after time-

I have used a "swirl" of about 1/3 of my soap batch-with the powdered kelp added-

it does make a nice facial soap- I sold it in our shop- the scent had faded but I did warn buyers that there might be an "ocean" scent after it got wet!
but when I used a bar after the scent faded- it didn't smell bad while using!

I'm not sure if I will make more or not!

jean
www.scenterstage.com

wow....thank you for the great info.

I have no idea what to do now. :lol:

I bought some, but now I'm afraid to use it!!

I thought maybe the fact that its so good for skin would make it worth it...

ugh!! I'll have to look for some ideas on how to mask it.....other ocean stuff sounds good.

Latest posts

Back